Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is this? My thought is just replace rear crankcase cover, add new seals and O-rings, buy shift spindle and mounting hardware, move the stuff from the old cover and reinstall. It can't be that easy, however, and I am sure I'm missing a lot. It looks like there are some sensors on the electric shift that are unnecessary on the manual. Can I just take those off? As far as the controls go, could I leave the electric shift control on the handlebar and not use it? It looks like the sub-spindle would need to be replaced as well. That could mean front CC issues.

Is this a major conversion or is it fairly simple? Also, would it be especially expensive (in this situation, expensive is much over $300)?

·
Super Moderator
36,647 Posts
its not as easy as you think !!. by the time you invest in a new wire harness, all the parts that are used on a manual shift ?, you would have been better off just buying a manual shift model instead !. yes, you will need a wire harness for a manual shift, as well as the display, ecu/c.d.i. control unit, and lord knows what all else ?. now, you could '' jerry rig '' it ?, but I would never do this on anything I own, I go by the book, sooooooooo..there you have it.

·
Super Moderator
36,647 Posts
yeah, you would be wayyyyyyyyy over 300 bucks by the time you buy all the parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Shadetree. I am actually trying to fix a friend's electric shift and was wondering if this was an option. It sure seems like the manual shifts have less headaches.

So far I have learned that the shift motor is good but no juice is flowing to it. I'm in the process of tracking down the source of that omission. Any pointers would be appreciated. Should I start a new thread if this discussion develops?

·
Super Moderator
36,647 Posts
Thank you Shadetree. I am actually trying to fix a friend's electric shift and was wondering if this was an option. It sure seems like the manual shifts have less headaches.

So far I have learned that the shift motor is good but no juice is flowing to it. I'm in the process of tracking down the source of that omission. Any pointers would be appreciated. Should I start a new thread if this discussion develops?
just use this thread, no reason to make another. as for manual shift over electric shift ?, no way in hell would I own a es model !, manual shift , or none at all !. as for no power to the shift motor ?, be sure to check all fuses with an ohm meter set to 12 vdc, or use a 12 vdc test light, check BOTH sides of the fuses !!. if fuses check good , then I would lean towards a bad ecu/c.d.i. ?, or dirty buttons on the control switch where the buttons are. I don't know a lot about es models ?, other than they are junk in my book, and what little I do know to work on them, is simple stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honda sells about 10 times more Electronic Shift models than Foot Shift models. So the ratio of people reporting ES problems should be about ten to one. The fact is that the gear shift linkage on the ES is the same as the Foot Shift. The only difference is the way the Shift Shaft is turned, and Honda wanted to make the ES idiot proof so they used a computer to control the shift motor which turns the shift shaft, but computers have to have all their ducks in a row to chooch.

ES ATVs are easier to drive than footshifts. Now if only they could make them easier to steer...Oh wait, they have done that.

If you want to learn how the ES shift system works, watch the video on youtube by Bubba Baryl:
Honda Rancher Shift Problems - How it works - How to fix ALL PROBLEMS

·
Super Moderator
36,647 Posts
Honda sells about 10 times more Electronic Shift models than Foot Shift models. So the ratio of people reporting ES problems should be about ten to one. The fact is that the gear shift linkage on the ES is the same as the Foot Shift. The only difference is the way the Shift Shaft is turned, and Honda wanted to make the ES idiot proof so they used a computer to control the shift motor which turns the shift shaft, but computers have to have all their ducks in a row to chooch.

ES ATVs are easier to drive than footshifts. Now if only they could make them easier to steer...Oh wait, they have done that.

If you want to learn how the ES shift system works, watch the video on youtube by Bubba Baryl:
Honda Rancher Shift Problems - How it works - How to fix ALL PROBLEMS
I hate to break it to ya ?, but your wrong !. the shifting shaft where the shifting shaft for the transfer gears and shifting motor are NOT THE SAME !!!. on es models, right there where the transfer gears are ?, the end of the shaft is no where near the size in diameter as the shaft on a manual shift. what makes you say ES models are easier to drive than manual shifts ?, but you have your opinion, like I have mine. tell ya what, go look on cl's, look to see how many es models are on there, then look to see how many manual shifts are on there, then come back and tell me es models are still better than manual shift models ?, yeah..okkkkkkkkkkkkk..lmao.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts