Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy gave me a 1999 Honda recon 250. I checked the compression and it's at 120psi. Is that real bad?

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
A 100 PSI lower limit is what I usually use. Was it tested with the throttle held wide open?

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
your suppose to hold the throttle wide open to get a accurate compression reading :).

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
anything lower than 100 psi ( can be around 97 psi on some models ), is what your looking for. above 100 psi ?, i'd say your good, but not great. some models, like my '89 trx350D foreman ?, it calls for damn near 200 psi. ( don't have the manual sitting in front of me ..kinda by memory...and that lately is getting bad !)..lol.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Ok with the throttle wide open its around 97-100psi
you should be ok, if I remember right ?, the trx250 recon's call for around that. i'm sure new, they may be a tad higher ?, but it should run.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

185 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
took me a min to see it..lol. ok, then yes, his is too low. but how you going to get 800 rpms pull starting it ?..lol.

Reactions: cmanningjr

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Crank it over With the starter is how you'll get 800 rpms... Lol

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Crank it over With the starter is how you'll get 800 rpms... Lol

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
with the electric starter ?, yeah, but pull starting it ?, don't think so..lol.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Is the starter not working on this bike?

Rick

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

185 psi

took me a min to see it..lol. ok, then yes, his is too low. but how you going to get 800 rpms pull starting it ?..lol.
:lifting:

Not sure really, I was thinking the starter motor might turn it at half that. Either way it's only going to build so much pressure no matter how fast you spin it.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

185 psi

:lifting:

Not sure really, I was thinking the starter motor might turn it at half that. Either way it's only going to build so much pressure no matter how fast you spin it.
I agree...some what ?, most owners don't hold the throttle wide open when cranking their atv over ?, sooo, to do a compression test the correct way, you should hold the throttle wide open when doing so, but most people don't do the throttle when starting their atv. and I also agree, I don't know how many rpms a electric starter cranks them over ?. funny Honda would print this info, but show no way of backing this info up ?, maybe with a tach hooked up ?.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Yeah I don't have starter for the recon yet.
starters are cheap on ebay, I get mine from a company on ebay in TN. make sure you get a battery too !, DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT A BATTERY !!.

Reactions: cmanningjr
1 - 20 of 20 Posts