Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a compression test is to be done warm but while adjusting the valve lash I thought I'd try out the new adapter and see what I had. Cold engine, full throttle and cranked until it stopped at 170 psi.

I'm not worried as it performs well and uses little if any oil. Just wondering if anyone has done it both cold and warm to see what the difference was. I just wanted to get a baseline on mine and may do the same with my wife's low time 95.

Another thing that effects readings is the lenght of the hose and adaptors between the cylinder and the gauge. The short stubby gauges with the rubber cone were what we were told to use back at the Mt. Laurel Honda training center.

I may just burn the finger tips myself and do it while the engine is at operating temps if I get bored.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
it does not matter how or when you do a compression test. cold, warm, hot engine WILL NOT CHANGE THE OUT COME OF THE COMPRESSION READINGS !. its gonna read what ever it reads no matter how cold or hot the engine is ?. the only thing you need to worry about on an engine when cold, warm, hot ?..IS WHEN YOU SET THE VALVES !. never...NEVER SET/ADJUST VALVES ON A WARM OR HOT ENGINE !!!!, ALWAYS SET THE VALVES ON A COLD ENGINE.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I asked because the manual states to warm the engine before testing. I checked the 95 cold and it seemed to stop at 170 but a few more revolutions for good measure saw it top out a needle below 180.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to side with Shadetree on the difference between hot and cold readings. After the morning chores the 97 was good and warm and I repeated the test. I hit that same 170 psi wall as on the 95 but kept on cranking another few seconds and now see about 178 psi. Just for fun I tried checking without the WOT and couldn't even get to 100 psi. Curiosity satisfied.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
I'm going to side with Shadetree on the difference between hot and cold readings. After the morning chores the 97 was good and warm and I repeated the test. I hit that same 170 psi wall as on the 95 but kept on cranking another few seconds and now see about 178 psi. Just for fun I tried checking without the WOT and couldn't even get to 100 psi. Curiosity satisfied.
haha....i would not stear you wrong bro, i've been doing this 29 yrs..most times..i know what i am talking about :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts