Honda ATV Forum banner

clutch trouble with 95 fourtrax 300.

15K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
hey guys just joined up on the forums to ask a question. i searched a little bit and couldnt really find what im looking for. heres the deal, a few years ago i bought a really nice 95 fourtrax 300 for real cheap. up until recently it has ran perfectly. here a couple months ago, it would not engage into gear. it would start and run fine but wouldnt go into any gear. i took it to a shop and they got it moving, but its still not like it should be. it shifts really rough, like i have to force it as hard as i can to get it in gear. also, it has the centrifugal clutch and back when i first got it, if you press all the way up or down on the shifter it would go into neutral, well not anymore. i have tried to adjust the clutch MANY times but nothing helps, im lost here and i really dont want to take it into the shop again. sorry if this is confusing to read but if you have any questions please let me know, thanks

#2 ·
Are you sure that you're adjusting the clutch free play right? You should be able to fix that by adjusting the clutch free play. If not, then something must be wrong with the clutch. Does the clutch seem to be slipping? You might need to replace the clutch discs.

back when i first got it, if you press all the way up or down on the shifter it would go into neutral, well not anymore.
The clutch free play adjustment is what allows it to do this.

#3 ·
Did you adjust the clutch free play like it says below?

#4 ·
yes unfortunately i have tried to do that many times like it says in my manual. when it was in the shop the guy said thats the first thing he did and when that didnt work and he tore it apart, he said there was a loose bolt stuck in the discs??? idk for sure but he put the bolt back on and changed the oil but it just doesnt ride like it use to. it slipped once when i was riding it for a couple hours going up a hill, but it hasnt done it again since, but i havent rode it as long either.

#5 ·
I know you don't want to hear this, but you're probably just going to have to tear into it and see what the problem is. If you don't see anything wrong with it when you get in there, I would replace the clutch discs and springs.

#6 ·
yes unfortunately i have tried to do that many times like it says in my manual. when it was in the shop the guy said thats the first thing he did and when that didnt work and he tore it apart, he said there was a loose bolt stuck in the discs??? idk for sure but he put the bolt back on and changed the oil but it just doesnt ride like it use to. it slipped once when i was riding it for a couple hours going up a hill, but it hasnt done it again since, but i havent rode it as long either.
I know you don't want to hear this, but you're probably just going to have to tear into it and see what the problem is. If you don't see anything wrong with it when you get in there, I would replace the clutch discs and springs.
thanks, do you think i shouldnt be riding it at all until i get this fixed? also i left out that sometimes when going slightly downhill in reverse it makes a clunking noise, is this related?

#7 ·
do you think i shouldnt be riding it at all until i get this fixed?
I don't think it will really hurt it to ride it, but I can't make any guarantees, because I don't know exactly what's wrong with it. If I rode it, I wouldn't ride it too hard. The only thing that I can think of that might cause that would be that the clutch discs are worn or there might be something wrong with the linkage that disengages the clutch and the clutch might not be disengaging. Because those 4-wheelers have the centrifugal clutch, in addition to the change clutch, when you let off the throttle it will seem like the clutch is disengaging when it's not. My guess is that something's wrong with the linkage, because when you hold up on the shifter, the clutch should disengage like it's in neutral. The linkage is on the inside of the engine behind the clutch cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.