Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read how folks have pulled off the clutch to get to the oil pump and cam chain, using a 2 or 3 jaw puller and hose clamps. My trx200 doesn't seem to have enough clearance to get hose clamps in there, and the back of the centrifugal clutch is rounded, so I wouldn't be able to get a grip with the flat part of the puller. I did try to tap around the edge with a plastic mallet last night, but it wouldn't budge.
The next question is, oil filter and should I replace the clutch pads and discs?
I don't see an oil filter yet, just the screen. Does this model not come with one? (1994 trxd200 type 2)
I haven't noticed any performance or shifting issues, so do I need to replace the clutch parts?
One way bearing. Does this always get replaced or is it replaced only when symptoms come up?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have never worked on a 200, but have a couple of TRX300 fw's. I was able to pull the clutch by putting my fingers behind the clutch housing and pull out hard. I smacked the end of the crank with a plastic dead blow hammer and the clutch popped right off. I would not replace parts that there is nothing wrong with. The one thing you need is a service manual. It is probably available on this site.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Normally clutches are on a splined shaft and just held on by a nut, not on a tapered shaft like a flywheel that requires a puller. I don't recall ever having to use a puller to get a clutch off?

Those older models don't have a filter element; they use the screen in the bottom of the case, and I think the centrifugal clutch (the one without plates) acts as an oil filter.

The one-way bearing is good if you can only spin it one way, as the name implies

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't being rough last night when I was using my mallet.

Maybe I need a bigger mallet. (that's what she said)

So while tapping harder and turning the clutch around that should pop it off?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
your model does not have a oil filter. smack the bell housing with a hammer, then rotate it, then smack, rotate, smack. a soft mallet won't work very good, it absorbs the impact, you need a solid hammer. just be careful not to hit the engine case !..lol. if that does not work ?, you will need a clutch puller tool to pop it off. if it was shifting and moving good ?, no reason to replace any parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up using a gear puller to get it off. Came right off with it! Now I reassemble it. The other clutch basket with the plates I attempted to get the nut torqued down to the 68ft-lb. However I broke the bolt holder that the bolt/spring combination go into....groan. Provided I can find another part for this, what do you use to hold things still while torquing the nut down?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did I break it? I wedged a screwdriver between the bolts to hold it still?. I saw there is a clutch holder tool, but I don't see anything online matching that part number. I wonder if I put it in gear and held onto something on the other side if that would have been better...

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
You can make a strap wrench from a 2" wide ratchet strap to hold that clutch still while torquing the nut down. How can you feel so sure about your dog...? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.