Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two Hondas one 2017 rubicon 500 and a 2017 rancher 420. The first 100 mile service came around valves on both were in spec new filter and I used rotella T6 5w-40 motor oil as I read people have recommended. Since the oil change there is a clicking noise on both quads sounding like it's coming from the top end?? The valves are in spec. Is this something to worry about? I've read people have this issue I just wanna make sure nothing happens to my fourwheelers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New member here forgot to put that was in a bit of a rush. Just a little more detail here I took them both for a test run and there isn't any loss of power or anything. I'd say it does even better? Shifting and get up and go. The shifting there's a quick delay between when you shift and when it actually switches gears or at least a second longer but not too noticeable but when it shifts it's like butter no kickback or anything just straight into the next gear. I'm happy with the performance of the little test but wanna make sure that ticking if its common and not needed to be worried about before I go for another run.... I longer run? Thank you for the replies in advanced

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have heard "ticking" before and it could be nothing or could be something, i.e., timing chain, etc. Therefore, diagnosing a sound/cause over the Internet is a challenge, so consider posting a short video clip/sound and/or given the year, 2017, I would take it to the dealer and get input on the sound.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Was the engine warm when you checked the valve clearance? The engine should be at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit when you check the clearance.

It matters...

There is a very fine line between properly adjusted and noisy valves.

All that said... Honda engines are noisy by nature.... They have solid lifters, that causes some valve noise even when properly adjusted... They'll never be as quiet as hydraulic lifters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts