Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 450ER, throttle hesitates for a split second from idle, or if throttle let off, such as landing from a jump etc, (it almost dies before it picks back up). Now I'm pretty sure the quad set for a while before I bought it, as it was a repo, so I did change out the gas, now on previous post it has been recomended clean the carb. but I can't recall seeing step by step on how this "should" be done. Do I pull the carb off and soak it in something? just spray the inlet with carb cleaner real good while running???? or Im sure its somewhere inbetween. I'm running a K&N air cleaner with the snorkle removed from the air box lid but nothing else has changed. should I remove or cut air box lid??? then re jet before putting on exhaust or wait and do it all together. all suggestions are appreicated.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I would take the petcock off the gas tank, make sure that is completely clean. You will probably need to take the carb comletely apart and clean EVERY orifice of it.

If you want some REAL power out of this machine put an exhuast on along with a good intake, remove or cut the lid and add a stage 2 hot cam. Jetting is required for each so if possible do it all at once.

·
Banned
491 Posts
As for general cleaning you will need to pull out the carb just a ready repair kit before opening the carb coz you have to replace all the jettings, o rings, gaskets and seal. buy also a carb cleaner spray. But if you are not mechanically incline better bring it to a pro.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
these carbs really are not all that difficult, but I agree with red about the petcock on the tank. remove the cap and clean it out. then remove the carb I would remove the bowl, remove the float and float needle, remove both jets the one in the middle is the main the one recessed to the side of it is the slow jet. Your issue is in there I can almost guarantee it. just get a can of carb cleaner and some cutting torch tip cleaners. poke out the holes and spray. pretty simple. Make sure you clean out the bowl too.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I took it off, cleaned it with carb cleaner. Removed the bowl, but did not remove the float. On the bottom of the bowl, is a plate, with 3 screws, inside is a rubber deal about the size of a quarter, with a spring behind it. it was folded it 3 spots, like a triangle, ??????? as far as I could tell this wasn't correct, like it had been folded inwards by not being put together correctly. Anyways I put it back together flat, the hesitation was still there, I plan on pulling it back off tomorrow, this time I will pull the jets as well. thanks for all your ideas. has anyone seen the round rubber piece I was talking about??? I found it in a parts diagram and it is flat there. Also I didn't remove the top cover, I will this time though.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ok I took it off, cleaned it with carb cleaner. Removed the bowl, but did not remove the float. On the bottom of the bowl, is a plate, with 3 screws, inside is a rubber deal about the size of a quarter, with a spring behind it. it was folded it 3 spots, like a triangle, ??????? as far as I could tell this wasn't correct, like it had been folded inwards by not being put together correctly. Anyways I put it back together flat, the hesitation was still there, I plan on pulling it back off tomorrow, this time I will pull the jets as well. thanks for all your ideas. has anyone seen the round rubber piece I was talking about??? I found it in a parts diagram and it is flat there. Also I didn't remove the top cover, I will this time though.
That's the accelerator pump on the bottom of the carb bowl. See below.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup and it was folded up like a triangle. I replace it flat again but it was a chore getting it to lay flat. maybe I should just buy a new diaphragm along with all the O rings

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
yup and it was folded up like a triangle. I replace it flat again but it was a chore getting it to lay flat. maybe I should just buy a new diaphragm along with all the O rings
I believe I would just buy a new diaphragm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is it possible thats my hesitation problem? or is this just another problem????????

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
is it possible thats my hesitation problem? or is this just another problem????????
I guess it's possible, but I'm not that familiar with the 450, so I can't say for sure. Those 450 carbs are set up a little different than most carbs. It would probably be worth trying since yours was folded up anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, thanks for your help. I'll let you know tomorrow what I find out.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Like I said ... Clean the Jets and their orficesthe bowl will come off without pulling the accelerator pump too.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, like Moose said, clean the jets and orifices real good too. It's easy to miss something. Any tiny little piece of debris can cause problems in a carb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I cleaned it again, removing both the main jet, and the pilot jet. cleaned them good. it ran better but still just a little hesitant. I talked to a local mech and he said the problem with the accelator pump diaphragm is common when someone cleans out the carb with to high of air pressure in the wrong area and it blows out the diaphragm from its seet. couldnt order a new Diaphragm without the accelator pump cover and spring as a whole kit so I ordered it and should be back in business early next week!!!! I will let you all know. and I bought several jets so I can play around with the right setting. I looked at the needle while I was in the top of the carb, didnt see any notches on it??? Is it possible the ring is just on the bottem notch and I didnt see them above the clip?? Or is the stock needle not adjustable???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ok I cleaned it again, removing both the main jet, and the pilot jet. cleaned them good. it ran better but still just a little hesitant. I talked to a local mech and he said the problem with the accelator pump diaphragm is common when someone cleans out the carb with to high of air pressure in the wrong area and it blows out the diaphragm from its seet. couldnt order a new Diaphragm without the accelator pump cover and spring as a whole kit so I ordered it and should be back in business early next week!!!! I will let you all know. and I bought several jets so I can play around with the right setting. I looked at the needle while I was in the top of the carb, didnt see any notches on it??? Is it possible the ring is just on the bottem notch and I didnt see them above the clip?? Or is the stock needle not adjustable???
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the needle is adjustable on the 450. I even looked in my manual and it didn't say anything about it being adjustable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yup its not adjustable, I found that out looking at and HRC Manual. Now, Looking for an HRC needle, anywhere to buy one besides in the HRC Jet kit since I already have the jets??? if I dont find one by tuesday I'll just order the kit from local Honda shop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back in business, I replaced the accelerator pump, as the Diaphragm was wadded up inside the chamber as I wrote above, cleaned all the jets, bowl, chambers etc, put it all back together, and the hesitation is gone! thanks for all the help, I now have the HRC jet kit, and will be re jetting once I get new Exhaust, which Im leaning towards Venom, buts that's another thread LOL

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
07 450ER, throttle hesitates for a split second from idle, or if throttle let off, such as landing from a jump etc, (it almost dies before it picks back up). Now I'm pretty sure the quad set for a while before I bought it, as it was a repo, so I did change out the gas, now on previous post it has been recomended clean the carb. but I can't recall seeing step by step on how this "should" be done. Do I pull the carb off and soak it in something? just spray the inlet with carb cleaner real good while running???? or Im sure its somewhere inbetween. I'm running a K&N air cleaner with the snorkle removed from the air box lid but nothing else has changed. should I remove or cut air box lid??? then re jet before putting on exhaust or wait and do it all together. all suggestions are appreicated.
not sure why it has a snorkel ?..was it set up for water ?..anyway..take the carb off..remove the float bowl from the bottom of the carb...< get in a well lit area and clean >..take all the jets out..float..float needle..with one wire from a wire brush.and some carb cleaner..< i use gunk brand >..spray this into the jets..with the wire from the wire brush..carefully work this down into the jets..with a air compresser...< if you have one >..if not..just blow through the jets..hold it up to a good light source..if you can see through them..lay them aside...now..with the carb cleaner..spray your carb really good..every hole..nook..and cranny ..< make sure you remmove the carb to intake o-ring before you do this >..carb spray cleaner will make it swell...after you spray the carb down..with a air compresser < you really need a commpresser for this part >..blow the carb out really good...all holes...after this..put your carb back together....now..before you do this..while you got the carb off...remove the carb intake boot..see if there is any cracks..holes..what ever in it..this will cause air to by-pass the carb..giving you trouble..if it's good..put it back on..put the carb back on..crank it up..see how it does.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
not sure why it has a snorkel ?..was it set up for water ?..anyway..take the carb off..remove the float bowl from the bottom of the carb...< get in a well lit area and clean >..take all the jets out..float..float needle..with one wire from a wire brush.and some carb cleaner..< i use gunk brand >..spray this into the jets..with the wire from the wire brush..carefully work this down into the jets..with a air compresser...< if you have one >..if not..just blow through the jets..hold it up to a good light source..if you can see through them..lay them aside...now..with the carb cleaner..spray your carb really good..every hole..nook..and cranny ..< make sure you remmove the carb to intake o-ring before you do this >..carb spray cleaner will make it swell...after you spray the carb down..with a air compresser < you really need a commpresser for this part >..blow the carb out really good...all holes...after this..put your carb back together....now..before you do this..while you got the carb off...remove the carb intake boot..see if there is any cracks..holes..what ever in it..this will cause air to by-pass the carb..giving you trouble..if it's good..put it back on..put the carb back on..crank it up..see how it does.
You're too late Shadetree. He's already got it fixed.

not sure why it has a snorkel ?
I think he means the factory air intake for the airbox.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts