Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 350TRX and wasn't used much recent years so the choke started not working/stuck.
got a new cable but when trying to disconnect at carb, it was the plunger that was stuck. Broke off one side but was able to get it out.
question is when i put the new plunger kit in, should a lube be used so it slides easier and won't seize up again?
type?

·
Premium Member
4,201 Posts
OEM choke plunger i hope?
you could use a petroleum based lube — I’ve used a Very little bearing grease but it’s not called for or necessary.
Fuel vapors will dissolve most Of it anyway.
Just Clean the carb valve bore first—use those bamboo handled detailing swabs and a bit of Berryman Chemtool. Don’t get that cleaner on anything rubber!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 350TRX and wasn't used much recent years so the choke started not working/stuck.
got a new cable but when trying to disconnect at carb, it was the plunger that was stuck. Broke off one side but was able to get it out.
question is when i put the new plunger kit in, should a lube be used so it slides easier and won't seize up again?
type?
I feel your pain. I just went to rebuild the carb on my 99 fourtrax 300. Same deal plunger stuck in there and I mean stuck! everything I could reach with needlenose pliers is broke off. I even soaked it pb blaster over night. How did you get yours out. I bought a cheap china aftermarket carb on amazon, but its pouring gas out the bottom now. thinking Im going to have to drill that choke plunger out and use parts from china carb to rebuild oem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OEM choke plunger i hope?
you could use a petroleum based lube — I’ve used a Very little bearing grease but it’s not called for or necessary.
Fuel vapors will dissolve most Of it anyway.
Just Clean the carb valve bore first—use those bamboo handled detailing swabs and a bit of Berryman Chemtool. Don’t get that cleaner on anything rubber!
thanx for the reply,
My choke cable was OEM, I had ordered from local Suzuki/Honda dealer, so I hope the Plunger is also but will now make sure. original was a brass looking material.
Will make sure to clean out the bore and maybe use a little lube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel your pain. I just went to rebuild the carb on my 99 fourtrax 300. Same deal plunger stuck in there and I mean stuck! everything I could reach with needlenose pliers is broke off. I even soaked it pb blaster over night. How did you get yours out. I bought a cheap china aftermarket carb on amazon, but its pouring gas out the bottom now. thinking Im going to have to drill that choke plunger out and use parts from china carb to rebuild oem.
thanx for the reply.
I also used needlenose pliers and was able to twist and pull out after breaking just one of the slim sides.
I had sprayed it with WD40 that evening and let it sit overnight. next day was able to pull it out. Otherwise guy at dealer said they've had to drill small hole through it and thread in a screw to pull it out.
Would never touch most cheap/amazon parts, especially a carb., maybe just single items.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts