Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help. my 1985 honda atc110 was riding rough when i would gas it more the 1/4 of the way. so i took apart carb and cleaned it goodn rode it and it did the same thing. it idles real well. i messed the the air intake and adjustmensts and couldnt get it any better . finally i was riding and it was great, i could hammer it and no stalling out or puttering. i realized the choke was still up or on. when i stopped in nuetral it would eventually stall out. basically it runs good with choke on and stalls when in nuetral and runs horrible when choke is off but idles great. any help

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Remove the carb again you didn't clean it well enough.. get a set of torch tip cleaners and clean out every orfice you see, jets included. Also clean the Float Needle and seat area really good.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I agree with TRX2fiveO, but if that don't fix the problem, then try pulling the gas hose loose from the tank cut off valve and make sure it isn't about stopped up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with TRX2fiveO, but if that don't fix the problem, then try pulling the gas hose loose from the tank cut off valve and make sure it isn't about stopped up.
i cleaned it out by just soaking it overnite. i took everything apart and could see through every hole when i looked through a light. maybe it was good enough as i didnt have compressed air. i already took the gaslines off and looked through them. i also emptied the gas tank and it looks nice inside. i filled it up with new gas and some sea foam. still same result. i will try those brushes or whatever along with another cleaner. i am new to this process and would like to do things myself instead of a dealership. one thing i did notice was there was no metal or rubber washer on the air screw. it looks like it is supposed the be there? atleast thats what new carbs come with anyway.is this a issue?( another one). how about the float? i am a machinist and everything looks to in good condition. i know the float deal is plastic and of course this bends and wears gradually. i know that when i have the float attached it will drop below perpendicular with casing it is in??? is this wear?. i looked up how many turns to turn out air adjustment screw and it said to start out at two and go from there. any help in any or all of this is appreciated. people like you are a big help for me. i hope i can return a favor sometime. thanks, jason

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Just keep at it.Don't give up.There's always something in the carb your missing.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
It really sounds like a jetting issue. Did it just start doing this when it got cold?(the weather) As the air tempature drops, the air density increases. So what jets are correct for a warm summer may not work for the cold weather. At idle you are getting enough gas and air to keep it running good. When you idle with the choke on, you are getting too much fuel and it is running rich. That is why you are sputtering at idle. Your basically on the verge of flooding. When you are riding with the choke off, the cold air is supplying more air than what your carb is use to. When you turn the choke on you are compensating for the increased air and adding more fuel. That is why it runs good with the choke on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what do i need to do if it is a jetting issue? new jets or adjust screw even more. i just got this 1985 honda atc 110 and it is awesome condition. but this issue. Is it bad to ride with the choke on? is it worth me just buying a whole new carb for 50 dollars? thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Give it a valve adjustment and maybe a bigger pilot jet. Someone please back me up or correct me on the pilot jet.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
If you have cleaned and looked at everything then you have a vaccuum leak between the carb and intake or intake and head... How is the air filter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes i found i lose hex bolt coming from the carb to mani. i went to tighten it and it was strippied. i will find something at my machine shop to fix this. hopefully this is the problem not another one.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
yes i found i lose hex bolt coming from the carb to mani. i went to tighten it and it was strippied. i will find something at my machine shop to fix this. hopefully this is the problem not another one.
Just thru bolt it I did on my buddies 110 and it works great...they strip out real easy.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I had to do the same thing to a Honda trail 90 I had.It's almost the same motor as the 110.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
gave it the old thru bolt. now its tight. i'll give it a test drive tomorrow. thanks guys.
it's early fire that sucker up ad see if it will idle you may have to set the pilot screw again 1 1/2 turns out from seat I believe is the setting?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Hope it works man.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
had time to start it up same damn thing. but guess what ?upon further investigation i found that one end of the manifold dont have a gasket (head to manifold). you would think that it was suposed to be there right?. im wondering if this is the prob. anybody have any ideas on it. i ordered a gasket for it. thanks again. i'll let ya'll know when i get it in. if that dosent work any other thoughts are always welcome here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts