Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Anyone have any experience with the following...???

GM Crate Engine HT383E

Or in general a 383 Stroker in a truck used for towing? I've been contemplating this decision hard. I need more TQ for towing as my old 98 GMC doesn't have enough..

I can get a crate engine for roughly 6k CND or get a custom built one for $4800 from one engine builder I talked to... Just looking for feedback & opinions.

I haul a camper (buying newer one this year, so unsure of weight) quad, gas, 2 rotties, guns, gear ect... fully loaded for 9 days at a time in bush.... I tow in the foothills/mountains....

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Went that route . . . . done-up small blocks, towing heavy. Hard on the motor, tough on fuel. If you're planning on spending 6k . . . . . get a big block. They pull good, and aren't really that hard on fuel if you can keep your foot out of it.
You didn't mention transmission type, gearing, or 4x4.
Just my personal experience . . . . nothing more. :icon_ rasta:

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
^^^ Yep I agree ^^^ If you are running a gas motor its always cheaper, easier and more cost-effective for the average person to just install a good performing big block. You need longer rods and more cubic inches along with good heads (& matched valvetrain, induction & exhaust) big enough to take full advantage of a large displacement SBC. The factory never made any of those motors... and most commercial engine builders still don't either, cause they compete for your money on marketing claims and low prices, not true output performance. Most engine builders selling to the masses build bolt-together cheap and chintzy (imported parts go in 'em nowadays) junk. Don't waste your money with any of those guys.

Your best option for towing is a good diesel truck though. You may be further ahead to just trade up your existing truck for a diesel model.

If you must have a gas motor for towing... whether its a BBC or a SBC... ya gotta build it yourself or you'll never be happy with the quality, performance and economy of it.

With all of that said, a well built 3.75" stroke SBC chevy motor can compete with (and beat) any other motor design near its displacement class. Its easy to get 700 ft lbs of torque outta one and be reliable... and very economical too... but ya gotta spend $$$$ and build one yourself, cause those motors don't come in any crate or box.

I'm sure once you've compared all of the costs involved that you'll find a diesel truck to be pretty attractive... you can put a good tuner on it and begin to have fun immediately too. :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Cummins power . . . . have had both 12v and 24v. Presently a 24v . . . 5sp.
There are many conversion pieces to be had. They are heavy, and you'll be tweaking your suspension a bit, but they pull . . . .
May be cheaper to flog the GMC and pick up a 2nd Gen Dodge/Cummins.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like my power stroke diesel...

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Cummins power . . . . have had both 12v and 24v. Presently a 24v . . . 5sp.
There are many conversion pieces to be had. They are heavy, and you'll be tweaking your suspension a bit, but they pull . . . .
May be cheaper to flog the GMC and pick up a 2nd Gen Dodge/Cummins.
He might have to stick to a 4cyl Cummins to that poor GM can handle it...:devil

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man... You guys have me looking at diesels now...I'm keeping all my options open...

So as far as anyone actually running a 383 in a truck, can anyone comment if they have every drove one??

My truck is in beautiful condition (8-10) for the year. I don't drive it in winter, unless I have to for one reason or another. I know I'll regret selling it if I do...

Heres what I'm looking at.... 2 year warrenty or 80k (50K miles)

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/small-block-ht-383e

OR

This engine builder said he can make me one producing similar #s

https://www.customenginescalgary.ca

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wilson....

She needs something AWESOME under this hood!!!

Guess I never updated the New Truck thread... I did pay in full for a 383 back in Sept. However they had none in stock & gave me the run around. I finally got a refund end of Oct. But Like I mentioned, they are for sure in stock now...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
She needs something AWESOME under this hood!!!
Yep! Have you looked into a 427, or 366 ?
Mine was a 454 . . . 4sp / 3.73 limited slip / 205 transfer case.
Gassers are . . . ok

The diesel-heads have mentioned a few times "gas is for washing diesel parts".

OP . . . if possible, get a Dodge/Cummins. They are a good set-up.

A year ago, I listed my mid '91 (intercooled) W250 RC 4x4 / 5sp / 3.73 LS
on Kijiji. It had 660,000 km's on it. In 6 days I had 705 'hits' on Kijiji.
If you go the Dodge/Cummins route, people will wave at ya' :icon_ rasta:

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Yep, a diesel will do the job reliably and be economical. I doubt if those lil 383 gassers can ever please ya...? The 50-60 ft lbs max of additional torque will be almost imperceptible towing a load with stock gearing. You'll want 200 ft lbs more torque... not 50. Your OEM electronic engine controls will not work with those 383s either. Gonna have to spend $$$ reprogramming there too, if you can even get them to bolt on to that '99 and prior motor design. Unless the gearing is changed and the cooling system upgraded, the gassers will probably run hot on long uphill runs too. If you really want a SBC gas motor you'll have to build one yourself with more dynamic compression and better heads and valvetrain... and gear the truck down to bring the RPMs up and multiply the torque output some more. 6k+ seems like a lot of money to me.... for a measly 50 ft lbs or so of additional torque? A BBC might net ya 120 -140+ ft lbs more if ya buy a big-cube one, but then everything else on the truck (electronics & cooling system minimum, what is the trans rated to handle?) would require upgrades too.

I've been through this same argument many times with determined folks. I remember two of them distinctly... cause both of those 'torquer' small block builds are still sitting on the owners floors wasting... with less than 1000 miles put on each one. They was just too wimpy (gas hogs too!) for the loads that the owners dreamt they'd be able to lash onto them.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Ill be in the same boat as you, Im looking at a 383 stroker for when my old 350 dies.215k currently. Mine sits in storage during winter :(

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I went through this years ago. started with the small block, then upgraded to 454 one ton. Went to a first gen 12 valve now settled on a 3rd gen 5.9. No question the big block is a much better choice if staying with gas! it handled everything with ease that the small block struggled with, consistently got 9-12 mpg no matter what I had behind it, loaded or unloaded she drank the gas!

Then I stopped messing around and bought a cummins. It just does everything I ask without breaking sweat. no more 45 mph on steep grades, having to constantly watch my temp gauge....just load and go!

The extra money your considering could be better put towards a lower mileage diesel in my opinion.

I Cant stand the dodge body but love the motors! Chevy man at heart.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
lower gas counts for everything, plus power. i like my plymouth cars an such, but have also had many chevy's that i liked. course, im talking small scale, to hauling loads, least i'm talking.
i have seen a 350, gas converted to diesel. a waste of time, in my opinion.
that is a subject, i'm still sore about, an may discuss, at a later time.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Had to go back an re read the complete string.... Page 7 And you are invested in that truck, new transmition, new tires, electric brakes, new dual exhaust, bed caps , hood scoop, lift kit, Lots of customizing ..... etc.... SO..... so ya! i'd still go with a big block. And YEP! I'd keep my eyes open for a good used dodge cummins, I've got no complains about my 3500

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well yesterday I pulled the pin... Im having a 383 Stroker custom built. going 9.6.1 compression running 91+ octane, I'll get details on cam later. I'm planning on going with a Holley Sniper EFI, & Fast EZ-TCU to control the 4L60E which I'm getting rebuilt with corvette servos, capable of holding up to 500hptq+. Builder says with that set up I'll be well over 400+hp & 475ft/tq+. Should be have it in just over a month... I'm super stoked. She will be a new beast all together!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Well yesterday I pulled the pin... Im having a 383 Stroker custom built. going 9.6.1 compression running 91+ octane, I'll get details on cam later. I'm planning on going with a Holley Sniper EFI, & Fast EZ-TCU to control the 4L60E which I'm getting rebuilt with corvette servos, capable of holding up to 500hptq+. Builder says with that set up I'll be well over 400+hp & 475ft/tq+. Should be have it in just over a month... I'm super stoked. She will be a new beast all together!!!
How much that run you? Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How much that run you? Congrats!!

All in I should be just a hair over 10K.. US prices are soo much cheaper than in Canada...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
16 Participants
misterclean59
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing