Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to check valve clearance on the '02 250EX now that I have it running good. I can kind of hear a clicking sound on my right side and I am guessing the valves. How do I go about this and what is the clearance I am looking for. Would like to do the same on the Rancher AT too. Is there a web site or is it the best to buy the servce manual? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont know the clearance but look around on the quads because there might be a decal with most of the tune-up info including valve clearance. Dont know what year they started doing that. Alot of times its located under the seat on the airbox or by the battery. Some put the sticker on the frame either by the front or rear tires.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i have an 07 ex and owners manual says.005in(.13mm)

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
More than likely like bever said on a tag on the frame. That's where my friends was when we did his valves

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Yeah they are the same the only one i know of that are diffrent are the 400ex as stated above

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
i don't know much about all these newer bikes..but..like on most of the older bikes like my honda..and alottttttt of the honda's i've worked on..most of them keep the same valve settings..intake and ex...0.08 on both...but..like i stated..this is on older model honda's..as far as setting your clearence..it's really simple..take out the sight plug < should be on left hand side cover case >..take a rachet with a 17 mm socket..< this is if they kept the same size on new bikes >..pull the spark plug..turn your flywheel with the socket..while looking through the sight plug hole..until you see the letter T..this means it's on top dead center..there should be a arrow..or line inside the sight hole plug..line the T up with this mark...with something soft..< i use a pencil with an earaser >..stick it down inside the spark plug hole..until you feal it hit the top of the piston..now..take you valve caps off....with a filler gauge..and a open end wrench..10 mm is what most are..break the nut loose..with the filler gauge stuck under the rocker..adjust it to spec..tighten the nut..then do the other valve..oh..and make dang sure you have your piston on top dead center on the compression stroke..not ex stroke !!..if you do this wrong..you will bend or break your valves..or piston...keep us posted..hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good,I'll check it out this weekend. How do you know if you are on compression stroke? I am pretty handy just never did valves before and like you said don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Put your finger over the spark plug hole if you feel pressure against your finger you got it.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
When you take the valve cover off, turn the motor and you will see the cam spin. All of the lobes should be facing down. All valves closed is the compression stroke. Make sure the piston is TDC too.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
^^^^^^^^^I like that answer better. I'm more of a 1920s kind of guy......lol

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
LOL, 1920's?????? Dang your old! LMAO

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
lmao..just means by being old..he's wiser !!!..lmfao.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yep trying to talk the nurse here at the rest home into letting me go for a walk.:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
lmao..just means by being old..he's wiser !!!..lmfao.
I think I've forgot more than over the years than how much I know now..lol

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts