Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm convienced that I need to change the sprokets on my 02 400ex to be more "rider friendly" with how and where I ride. I love riding in the woods and hardly get past 2nd gear. As it stands right now, I'm always shifting between 1st and 2nd as I am right at the speed and I hate it.

I have 15/38 sprokets (comes out to a 2.53:1 ratio) and am running 20" tires in the back. I want to go with a 22" tire in the back and know that I should "regear" it so that I don't lose any power. I was thinking about going with a 13/40 sprockets (ratio of 3.08) and that would be great for the hill climbs and terrain that I like to ride. What do you guys and gals think?

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I'm getting a 13/38 gearing on my 450r. The 14 just isn't right. I stall out too much while on the trails. I'm in the same hole as you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I been asking around and im hearing that 1 tooth on the front is roughly 5 teeth on the back sprocket

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found 12 tooth front sprockets and and 40 tooth rear sprokets. If I change either/both of them, will i need to get a different chain? I would think so but just double checking. If i do then I would just go with an entire kit that has everything.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I'm runining 13/36 I believe on mine and trail riding is a bit of a pain when I do go. I went for the smaller rear to give me more speed, if you go with a larger rear sprocket you get more bottom end torque. I had a 39 on the rear and I didn't have to swap my chain I had enough adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Check out Saber6 post on gear ratios in the performance forum that may help you if you haven't already seen it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts