Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if somebody can explain to me in a very detailed manner on how to convert my 2001 Rancher 350FE ES to a foot shift. I understand a little bit as far as removing the shift motor and getting in and removing the reduction gears but I am not the greatest mechanic, just self taught/made at it.
So if somebody's possibly got some pictures or very good at explaining how this all works that would be a great help to me. I already have my bolt on foot shifter also. Just need to disable the ES.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
welcome to the forums. changing a es model to a manual shift is not as easy as what your thinking !. you will need the front engine case cover, manual shifting shaft ( this means you have to split the motor ! ). wire harness, ecu/c.d.i. and a few other odds and in's . soooooooo, before you start tearing it apart ?, you may want to just buy a manual shift ?..your call.

Reactions: Melatv

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I've read a bunch before and this was a common thing people were doing and hey said it works fine.
"take off the shift motor and reduction gear cover, removed reduction gears (two gears and shift gear/arm) put cover and motor back on".
So will that work fine? And then just put on my bolt on foot shift and it's good to go?
Again I don't know a whole lot and appreciate any advice.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
Interesting. I've read a bunch before and this was a common thing people were doing and hey said it works fine.
"take off the shift motor and reduction gear cover, removed reduction gears (two gears and shift gear/arm) put cover and motor back on".
So will that work fine? And then just put on my bolt on foot shift and it's good to go?
Again I don't know a whole lot and appreciate any advice.
it will work, but not for long. there is more to swaping what you say. as I said..the ecu is totally different, because you have a meter/display for all your electronic shifts, speed, all the crap. I won't argue this topic, it's yours, do as you wish ?, but me, I would not half azz it..lol.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Swift: Welcome to the forum. Shadetree is right on. What you are considering is easier said than done.

You said that you read 'a bunch' about such a change and 'people' were doing it. May I/we ask....'where did you read a bunch and who are all these people?'

·
Registered
1 Posts
welcome to the forums. changing a es model to a manual shift is not as easy as what your thinking !. you will need the front engine case cover, manual shifting shaft ( this means you have to split the motor ! ). wire harness, ecu/c.d.i. and a few other odds and in's . soooooooo, before you start tearing it apart ?, you may want to just buy a manual shift ?..your call.
Not true! Only have to remove the reduction gear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts