Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the cdi off of an '86 trx250 fourtrax be used on a '88 trx300 fourtrax? Thanks in advance. I looked up part numbers and they are different, but i wasn't sure if it was because of the different year. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
That probably won't work. I wouldn't try it. Two totally different quads.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
As long as the resistance is the same I don't see why not give it a try I think the worst that could happen is it won't start.
Resistance as follows....4p connector
ignition coil black/yellow and ground -----0.1- 0.2 ohm
pulse generator blue/yellow and ground-----290-360k ohm
reverse switch gray and ground ----continuuity with lever engaged
ground line green/white and ground --------continuity
resistance as follows ....2p connector
alternator exciter coil black/red and ground------100-300 ohm
ignition switch line black/white and ground no continuity w/ switch on
I hope this will help you out pm me if you need any more of the electrical info. good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still no luck. I've switched to another cdi, one for the 300. I've sanded ground points and checked multiple things. I only have one spark at the top of the kickstart cycle. If i kick hard, no fire. If i kick slowly, 1 spark. I'm still after it.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
By pass the reverse lock out switch also get you a multi meter and read my post above I gave you all the specs for testing the CDI. the reverse wires are gray w/ black stripe and gray look for one wire coming from under the foot brake on the side of the engine it runs over to theleft side at the harness unplug that wire and put a jumper where it plugs to and the other gray wire and see if it starts then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Post me up some pics for reference
Hey Bud, I can't thank you enough. I appreciate all the help you have sent my way. I bypassed the reverse switch and low and behold, it fired on the first kick. I really appreciate your knowledge and time. Thanks again. Stick around, i may need to pick your brain some more in the future.;)

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I'm no genius but I have run into this problem before and I do read alot of tech manuals of all sorts. just leave it bypassed I did on mine it wount hurt anything. Glad I could help another Honda to live.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Would fired on the first kick mean it ran or you got fire??? I forgot to ask you that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would fired on the first kick mean it ran or you got fire??? I forgot to ask you that
I should have been more specific. It fired up and ran great. I am gonna leave the switch bypassed for now, unless i stumble upon one. Otherwise, i'm going to leave well enough alone. Thanks again. Harold

1 - 12 of 12 Posts