Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 68 and not as strong as I used to be. Have been avid hunter for many years and use my Honda Rincon to navigate my lease in Georgia. Would appreciate any feedback/recommendations on using a cargo carrier to transport deer out of the woods. Have a 2" receiver hitch mounted on back and thinking about an aluminum cargo carrier to put deer on. Would it be too much weight on rear?

· Registered
1,418 Posts
I just turned 68 and not as strong as I used to be. Have been avid hunter for many years and use my Honda Rincon to navigate my lease in Georgia. Would appreciate any feedback/recommendations on using a cargo carrier to transport deer out of the woods. Have a 2" receiver hitch mounted on back and thinking about an aluminum cargo carrier to put deer on. Would it be too much weight on rear?
Personally, I would consider something different, because you are going to have issues with ground clearance, the length handing out relative to the wheels for up/over terrain. Secondly, I think the relative torque on the rear end with that much weight swinging side to side, etc., would likely be havoc on the rear end. I assume you are referring to something like this, http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-aluminum-atv-cargo-carrier?a=1935503&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CjwKEAiAn7HEBRDHwNqitoWqsQcSJAADWmI2chXp7yDCFWXZIDaBzGfBy7c01p9QJeo_hVaOx_zpgxoCboDw_wcB

· Premium Member
5,633 Posts

· Registered
1,418 Posts
A fourtrax driver got a couple of deep stab wounds after his front end raised up and he fell onto the elk he was pulling.
Ok a deer is lighter but I'd carefully consider whether I'm exceeding weight ratings
Oregon hunter rescued after being impaled by elk horn during ATV crash
Excellent point and there is no substitute for safety. As shown in the picture, getting that much "weight" on the rear rack creates a serious leverage issue, Lever Mechanical Advantage Equation and Calculator - Case #1 | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com and why I recommend a sled or mechanism to drag and further look the terrain over carefully. At quick glance, the guy on that ATV was attempting what appears to be a significant incline and that too must be considered for safety reason.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I think a Truck like rear cargo carrier will destroy your atv in no time with a 100+ lbs on it
your approach and departure angle will be very little with it on there too, making traveling on much of anything but level ground difficult if not impossible

a small trailer is the way to go it you have to haul it any distance at all
or modifying a actually deer cart to be able to be ball mounted??

I have hauled smaller deer on the front rack using ratchet straps to hold it solid in place, and or on the back rack but its work getting them on there and held in place

at farms I hunt is normally never much more than a 500 yards or so, and I just drag them out slowly, and never had a problem
younger days have physically dragged a deer over 4+ miles with a rope and a stronger back I had back then! LOL have to flip them over once in a while to keep hair on them or will drag off on LONG hauls, but I don't eat deer hair so?? never bothered me much about loosing it

they also sell plastic HD tube like sleds made to pull deer out with atv's too.
again if not too far or on pavement, if you go slow they should last a pretty long time?
and be a better option than a carrier IMO

· Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Yup I would be inclined to carry a heavy padded tarp or sled that I could tow. You would have to have a clear path--or be able to drag the deer to the atv. So you could reduce the dragging of the animal by quite a bit and hopefully minimize bruising of the meat.
I've seen guys quarter in the field but then you need a gambrel and all that mess

· Registered
8,309 Posts
you can quarter them rather easy laying ion the ground, NO need for hanging them to do so

Ain't no one in the west or AK/Canada< hanging game to quarter it in the field, from deer to moose
the bigger issue' some times is if its legal and or you want to do the work

but I have quartered a LOT of game over the yrs with a disposable razor blade where they died! didn't even need a big knife to do so, or a saw, but they can make it a lot easier on you, as would a helper!

but on deer, its NOT that bad really to quarter them in the field , you just end up with more pieces, than one body to remove, so racks can fill faster!

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'd personally use a drag bag or trailer, overloading the ATV is a minor issue really, think of your own safety first, especially if your hunting alone.
I'd most definitely gralloch (gut) the animal in question whilst in the field/woods, why make the mess back at home?! Plus the innards make a good meal for larger quarry. Bears I guess for you guys, would only be foxes here in the UK lol.

Happy hunting and stay safe ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.