Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
carburetor problem?

i have a 1985 honda 200x...it idles just fine. it wont rev up though...i hit the throttle ever so slightly and it stalls out sometimes making a backfire or popping noise....although sometimes if i let it idle for like 5 minutes i can rev it up real quick once or twice and it dies and does what i stated above..:confused:....would that mean its starving for gas? or something else?:(

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Check your air filter and hoses for restrictions also check you fuel lines one may be crimped you have enough fuel to idle but when you apply more throttle youo demand more fuel and it's starving out. check your fuel bowl for sediment, water, ECT take out the jet and clean it make sure the orfice isn't restricted. and check your intake hoses for cracks.

i have a 1985 honda 200x...it idles just fine. it wont rev up though...i hit the throttle ever so slightly and it stalls out sometimes making a backfire or popping noise....although sometimes if i let it idle for like 5 minutes i can rev it up real quick once or twice and it dies and does what i stated above..:confused:....would that mean its starving for gas? or something else?:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
carburetor problem?

i cleaned my jets,made sure the gas line was open,my air filter isnt hooked up right now so i can work on the carb easier,and the bowl had no water or sediments in it at all...and it still does what it was doing before?anything else that could make it do that?:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
carburetor problem?

thanks ill check it out someone just stopped by my house he said it sounds like my main jet...but i dont know how i've checked it three times and so has one of my friends it looks clear.:(

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
thats easy just pull it out and stick a needle through the hole or something that is just as small as the hole put it in and try it..... then check your timing if it still does it. do you know how if not i may be able to help you or Tomgodd.

thanks ill check it out someone just stopped by my house he said it sounds like my main jet...but i dont know how i've checked it three times and so has one of my friends it looks clear.:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
carburetor

yeah i checked it its okay also recleaned it just in case..and still didnt work..and i have no idea about the timing chain..dont even know how to access it..but would it be the timing chain because if i turn the idle screw in the idle will go up and i can turn it in all the way and it basically revs the engine all the way but thats not even opening the slide all the way its only moving it partially up..and sometimes the rpms go up by itself and i turn the idle screw down and it idles just fine (but still cant rev it up).....ive been working on it three days now and cant get it to do nothing but idle cant rev it but like i said before if i ever so lightly press the throttle it revs up really fast at high rpms and my slide isnt even opened up all the way..:confused:so im really confused im used to working on threewheeler engines but this one has me stumped.:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
carb

nevermind i think i solved it....the guy i bought the 200x off of stripped the carb of some parts and i had looked at a manual and its missing quite a bit of stuff thats not noticable unless you look at an identical carb thanks for the help ill keep ya posted if this is the problem or not but im pretty positive it is..if not then it has to be the timing chain and ill be back if it is....thanks for the help though trx2five0:D

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After reading all the posts im thinking you have some issue with the carb not timing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was wondering my friend down the road let me borrow his 1983 200s carburetor to put on my 1985 200x..the thing is his is a 22mm carburetor and mines a 24mm carburetor....can the 22mm blow the engine or burn a valve up or anything like that? i mean i had it running for a very short time today and it ran awesome...but like i said it was a very short time because i'm not to sure if it is good to run it with a 22mm carburetor in place of my 24mm carburetor..:(

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As long as its not a lean mixture you will be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
lean mixture?

what you mean lean mixture?:confused:...you talking about the mixture screw ont he bottom of the carburetor? so i should basically open that up all the way?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A rich mixture is caused by too much fuel compared to the amount of air being used during combustion. Rich conditions can be detected by the engine spitting and sputtering, blurbling, or acting like a rev limiter, rapidly losing and regaining power. In severely rich conditions, you may be seeing black smoke coming from the exhaust. The black smoke you see is actually raw fuel that is not being burnt and is being wasted. By looking at the spark plug, a rich condition can be detected by a black, sooty plug.

A lean mixture is caused by too little fuel compared to the amount of air being used during combustion. Lean conditions can be detected by the engine losing power, yet retaining it's engine speed. For instance, the engine sounds to be accelerating to higher RPMs, yet feels as if it has no power. By looking at the spark plug, a lean condition can be detected by a white, blistered plug.

Running with to lean a mixture can burn a piston.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
what you mean lean mixture?:confused:...you talking about the mixture screw ont he bottom of the carburetor? so i should basically open that up all the way?
Run it for a while and then pull the plug to see what color it is you can set the carb as needed then.Plug color chart

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
No problem I should be around the house all day so if you have any problems drop me a line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
carb problem

hey im back.....my friends carb worked to a certain extent to ride it for 2 hours then i gave it back....i got all new jets for my carb replaced all the jets and gaskets and my carb still doesnt work...so now im clueless..as in what to do...and i was wondering can i upload a video onto youtube and put the link in my next post to show what it does?......it still idles fine but doesnt rev up.i mean i didnt spend to much for a rebuild $16 but....id liek to kind of figure out why it runs like crap....:confused::eek:

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
30 Participants
sgtemple78
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing