Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got done cleaning up my carb on a 2000 Foreman 450S. The 4 screws on the float bowl are shot. Does anyone know the size of these so I can pick up some new ones? I would also like to run a tap in the carb body just to clean the holes a bit.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I have all mine replaced with allen head screws. I took the screws to tsc and used there little thread and sizeing apparatus and found the same size and thread pitch. Spent like 10 bucks and never have to worry about stripping one again. I have done that on every single carb i have worked on since. Simple cheap and so nice to remove next time. My .02

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea Ranger! I did make the mistake of trying to run one of the old screws back in. Now it's stuck and the head is fried:mad::mad: now got to figure a way to get her out.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Good idea Ranger! I did make the mistake of trying to run one of the old screws back in. Now it's stuck and the head is fried:mad::mad: now got to figure a way to get her out.
Crap! I would try needle nose vice grips, or drill bit and easy out. It cant be in there that hard unless its cross threaded. The factory screws are made out of some really weak metal so i would bet drilling it in a worst case scenerio wouldnt be that hard. Be very careful though because the carb body is usually aluminum and cross threads really easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Y
vice grips maybe, or cut a slot in it and use a flat blade screwdriver.

Thanks Mac! My brain has just about shut down for the evening! Took a dremel and cut a slot. That did the trick! Nicked the float bowl a little but shouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks fellas!

Colby

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Y
vice grips maybe, or cut a slot in it and use a flat blade screwdriver.

Thanks Mac! My brain has just about shut down for the evening! Took a dremel and cut a slot. That did the trick! Nicked the float bowl a little but shouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks fellas!

Colby

Yeah mine is running on fumes right now too, lucky I managed to think up that much info lol little nick shouldn't hurt anything, battle scar lol I was just looking at McMaster Carr they have the screws your looking for but you need to but 100 of them lol still only like $8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I always look for bolts and screws in this order. TSC cheapest option first. Rural King if tsc dosnt have it maybe. Fastenal if they dont have it/cant get it no one can. You pay for that luxury though. Most of the time fastenal makes you buy a bunch also.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I learned the dremel trick many moons ago, thin cut-off wheel, a little slice, reg screw driver, comes out every time. in the future ?, take your Philips screw driver, and a small hammer, whack the screw driver while in the screw a couple times as your turning the screw driver, most times they will break loose !.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I learned the dremel trick many moons ago, thin cut-off wheel, a little slice, reg screw driver, comes out every time. in the future ?, take your Philips screw driver, and a small hammer, whack the screw driver while in the screw a couple times as your turning the screw driver, most times they will break loose !.
These screws had not been out ever so believe me, they had PB blaster, little heat, small punch from the backside and hammer and Phillips. They were a booger. I just about gave up and bought a knockoff carb off eBay for $45! :)

I had to replace both the front axles & the rear. Then all wheel bearings last spring. I've gone back to stock wheels & tires, hopefully that will help the rear axle issue.

I'll be in the big city of Tyler, TX later today. Should be able to find the screws I need. I'll also go to HF and pick up a metric tap & die set.

Thanks for all yalls help!

Colby

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It seems counter productive but I have good luck tightening them first since usually the Phillips head will still catch going clockwise. This breaks it loose, then I start turning counterclockwise and remove. If that doesn't work I grab the vice grips.

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts