Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you know it the chain has streached?
i had grinding noise,so i pulled off top and cluch cover the chain was hanging below the gear.no metal shavings and the gear looks good no nicks or wear on it.it was so loose it was not making contact with the gear on the crank.
i took off the chain [tenioner ?] i'm lost how does it work?

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Welcome to the forums. first off what are you working on? but my tensioner has a bolt in the end you remove that bolt and take a tiny flat screwdriver and stick it in the end and turn clockwise that retracts the tensioner pin.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I believe all the Honda timing chain tensioners are about the same. Make sure you loosen the sealing bolt in the end of the tensioner, before you unbolt the two bolts that hold the tensioner on. If you don't, it will be hard to get the bolt loose, because they are usually real tight and the tensioner will be hard to hold while trying to break the bolt loose.

It tells you to discard and use a new gasket or sealing washer on the sealing bolt, but I have never had to do this. I always reuse the old one and it works fine. Just make sure you use a new gasket on the timing chain tensioner where it bolts to the head. If you don't it will leak.

You can use a small flat screwdriver to retract the tensioner, but this shows you how to make a tool to do it. This tool makes it easier, because when you get the tensioner retracted, you don't have to hold it with the screwdriver. You can just lock this tool down in one of the notches and it will hold it until you get the tensioner bolted on. Then, just pull it out and the tensioner will tighten the timing chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i got that but the chain hangs down past the gear about a 1/4 in when i push te guide then the tenioner is about a 1/4 from touching the guide,but the gears don't look like any scaring or wear,so do i just replace the chain and hope thats it?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
ok i got that but the chain hangs down past the gear about a 1/4 in when i push te guide then the tenioner is about a 1/4 from touching the guide,but the gears don't look like any scaring or wear,so do i just replace the chain and hope thats it?[/QUOTE

I would replace the timing chain and the cam gear. You might also want to replace the timing chain guides, they are probably worn as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts