Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1986 Honda Fourtrax TRX 350. I have been reading alot on this forum about replacing the timing chain and I am pretty sure how to do it with just a couple stupid questions. Do I need to drain all the oil out prior to starting? I know I need to disconnect the decompression cable from the head cover but do I need to disconnect it from the clutch cover or can I just leave it connected when I pull cover off and set on ground? Thank You in advance for all your help

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Yes my understanding is you’ll need to pull the right side cover snd also vlean the oil screen while ur in there.
The valve cover bolts can be difficult to remove—start spraying them Generously with Deep Creep penetrating oil now so the oil will get down to those threads. Use a 1/4 And or 3/8 Breaker bar —not a ratchet handle — and your best six-point sockets to carefully and slowly untorque those bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more question. Do I need to loosen the rocker arm nuts where you adjust valves prior to loosening valve cover ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts