Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at options on my TRX300FW's front axles. I've had this ATV about 6 weeks and working on it as time allows. I have 2 torn boots, but I haven't yet looked to see what shape the outer CV joints are in. I noticed that the 2 front axles are different lengths, but most of the ones I see online use the same part number for interchangeability between right / left. Caltric has different part numbers for right / left. Just looking for reviews / suggestions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
if it were me ?, and it's not !..lol. I would just buy oem from Honda, and not worry about if they will fit or not ?.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If they are different lengths the difference is very small. The plunging CV joint will take up whatever difference there is, which is why you see the same P/N for both sides in aftermarket axles. I have a few axles from TheCVman on eBay I think? and they have held up fine. I don't really like that they use tripod style inboard joints though. Basically any aftermarket axle is going to hold up on a 300 as long as your not running 30" tires and you keep the CV's clean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, OEM's from Honda would be around $350 from a variety of places. I saw a pair of complete axle Caltrics last night on EB for $128 shipped. I also looked at some half shaft (outer CV only) Gambits on EB for roughly $160 shipped. I plan on keeping this ATV stock and using for hunting / recreation / yard work use. Just want to know if anyone had experience with these particular brands.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I bought some electrical parts from Caltric and they were crap. I can't speak for their axles. I would assume they are made in Taiwan or China

Rob

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I'm sure all the Chinese axles come from the same factory, with that being said, I have used east lake axles and had great success. I think your looking at $140 for 2 axles.

on a side note, I have used a BUNCH of caltric brand parts, not one issue, but you can sure tell they are cheap!

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Sorry to chip in and hijack the thread but what axles would you recommend for 28 to 30" tyres? My outlets click every now and then so replacement isn't far away. When I replace I'd like to fit better ones ready for my tyre change when my GR arrives.

I'll also second what Mac has said above, the CV will take up the small amount of difference. I wouldn't be buying Chinese and at $350 I certainly wouldn't be buying OEM when there are stronger better brands available.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
My eBay axles have been holding up fine to 28's, without a locker it's pretty hard to snap them. With 30's I'd start thinking about Gorilla's but really wouldn't bother until the OEM ones were actually broken. There are other good aftermaket axles out there, like Rhino's for example, but they don't fit the 300 I don't think. I do remember hearing something one time about 350 or 420 Rancher axles in a 300 as a direct replacement so that may be something to look into. They are no stronger OEM, but it opens up more options as far as aftermarket goes.

Oh yeah. 2 Gorilla's run about $800.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
My eBay axles have been holding up fine to 28's, without a locker it's pretty hard to snap them. With 30's I'd start thinking about Gorilla's but really wouldn't bother until the OEM ones were actually broken. There are other good aftermaket axles out there, like Rhino's for example, but they don't fit the 300 I don't think. I do remember hearing something one time about 350 or 420 Rancher axles in a 300 as a direct replacement so that may be something to look into. They are no stronger OEM, but it opens up more options as far as aftermarket goes.

Thanks Mac. Yeh I won't be changing them until they do decide to give up on me, I just wanted an opinion on what were good and bad etc. In all honesty, I don't mind paying the money for something that will last as I don't plan on selling my 300. I'll look into the 350/420 axles, see what I can find out.

I may even whip an axle out of my bosses 420 and try it against mine, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

Thanks Mac. Yeh I won't be changing them until they do decide to give up on me, I just wanted an opinion on what were good and bad etc. In all honesty, I don't mind paying the money for something that will last as I don't plan on selling my 300. I'll look into the 350/420 axles, see what I can find out.

I may even whip an axle out of my bosses 420 and try it against mine, I'll keep you posted.
Yeah definitely let me know. On the 420 and 350 you may find that one side is actually a fair bit longer than the other, so it may be the case of just using 2 axles from the same side on either of those machines. I have a couple 350's around but don't really intend to take them apart. Although maybe just measuring the length of the exposed axle bar would tell us if its a go or no go ...hmmm.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts

Yeah definitely let me know. On the 420 and 350 you may find that one side is actually a fair bit longer than the other, so it may be the case of just using 2 axles from the same side on either of those machines. I have a couple 350's around but don't really intend to take them apart. Although maybe just measuring the length of the exposed axle bar would tell us if its a go or no go ...hmmm.
Ahh right, okay. I'll have a measure up before hand then and see if I can get an accurate enough measurement. If it seems to be close I'll whip one out and see if it will fit in place of mine

Reactions: mac102004

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My TRX300FW is also a 1998 model, and there are different axles for the left and right, both visually and by the OEM part numbers. Looking at them, the difference appears to be in the length of the inner CV joint assembly, adjacent to the front differential. With that in mind, if only replacing the outer CV joints and axles, then the same part could be used left or right. I have also seen some Interparts-brand axles, that apparently have gotten some good marks. I can get a pair of their outer axle assemblies for about $160 shipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.