Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
I assume where the cabin is located you don't get any snow? If so it was REALLY built poorly...
it gets snow and ice, but yes, it was poorly built, but..its a weekend-fishing get-away place, not meant to live in daily , soo..it was thrown together with what they had when they built it back in the '50's, yes..it was first built back then...lol. it used to be a 1 room shack back then, and through the years, it got modern up grades. I could get into details on how it was back when I was knee high to a grass hopper ?, but that would take awhile..lol. from then to now ?, its like living in a condo !...lol.

Ya lots of hunters up this way have a similar place to head to. Up here we can call them anywhere from blinds to small cabins. Works great for a short term place to make home.

Our house was built in 1912, no plumbing or furnace, but a large coal burner. Upgraded over the years as needed and afforded. The farm has been in my wife's family since 1865, hoping to keep it there.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
update: well, not much done, other than two truss's up ?. here is a pic of the first truss I got up. the humidity here is killing this old guy !..lol. this job is going to put me in the hospital fast , I can see this right now !. I don't have anyone to help me on this, this is all me, and what a slow progress this is going to be. will update this thread as I get more done, sorry outlaws, but I can't go very fast on this. I do however like the new roof pitch so far, I think it will be plenty to drain now..time will tell !.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
looking good and I know all too well how working alone goes, its about all I ever do anymore
some time sits nice to be alone
but man , some days just a extra hand now and then would sure make life easier LOL

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
looking good and I know all too well how working alone goes, its about all I ever do anymore
some time sits nice to be alone
but man , some days just a extra hand now and then would sure make life easier LOL
true bro !. this is one of those times an extra hand would make this job go so much faster !..lol. i'm too old for this !..lol.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
At least we're getting a cool spell this week. I saw earlier this week that Mitch Petrus (former Razorback and NFL lineman) died of heatstroke in Little Rock. He'd been working in and around a shop all day, got overheated and died. Don't overdo it....

I've got to get up in my attic and try to fish some wires down through a plaster wall to a light switch in the nursery, and the hole I'm trying to fish through is under the A/C air handler so can't see what I'm doing; have to hold my phone over the hole and take pictures to get an idea of what I'm working with. I've taken a few days off from it waiting on this cooler weather to set in. Baby is going to be here any day so I gotta get it done. Too hot this time of year to be working on this stuff!

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
got one side of my front porch decked !. i'd rather be finishing my '88 trx300 ?, but my cabin comes first !. here's a few pics of progress !.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
update: got the front half all decked, felt paper down, drip edge ran on the bottom edge, and up both front sides. then covered with plastic sheeting. ripped off the old over hang around the electric box roof area, then covered with plastic. if my math is still good ?, I figured around 28 bundles to cover the whole roof front and back, as well as the cubby hole end roof. rain is headed here Monday, maybe even Tuesday ?, so I got a break Monday for sure. I will try to at least get the front section roof covered in shingles as soon as I can. im soooooooooo tired right now..too old for this crap !..lol. I am not a pro at this roofing ?, but I am doing my best :).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
update: started at 6:00 am this morning, worked until 12:00 noon, got the front half all shingled !.coil roofing nail gun sure beats the crap outta smacking my fingers with a hammer !..lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
to further this work on my cabin, for the past month, I have spent many days replacing my well pump, from ordering a new well pump, waiting over a week, it shows up just the pump !, no box ?, no paper work ?, no parts ?, just a bare pump, AND DAMAGED FROM FEDEX !
I ordered a new propane torch last week, and I got a empty box, NOTHING in it LOL
so, just got to love how some places ship things, little to no effort or logic to some workers
who did you order from @mrbb @shadetree ??

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
hey shade; do i see some termite treatment on the support beam's, at the bottom?? :smile
maybe 12" worth

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
to further this work on my cabin, for the past month, I have spent many days replacing my well pump, from ordering a new well pump, waiting over a week, it shows up just the pump !, no box ?, no paper work ?, no parts ?, just a bare pump, AND DAMAGED FROM FEDEX !
I ordered a new propane torch last week, and I got a empty box, NOTHING in it LOL
so, just got to love how some places ship things, little to no effort or logic to some workers
who did you order from @mrbb @shadetree ??
I ordered from E bay, never had any issue's before, but this seller was having some morons working for them I guess and never taped a box closed before shipping the torch?
I did finally get my item, but they had to sent it to me 3 times, , 1 empty box, One box with just a torch and a third box with everything LOL
a 25 dollar item that I guess costs the seller at least twice that in lost goods due to they didn't put any tape on the box ends?? just stupid, I mean, its NOT rocket science to tape close a box that opens easy?

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
hey shade; do i see some termite treatment on the support beam's, at the bottom?? :smile
maybe 12" worth
I dont know about termite treatment ?, but I did how ever soak those post in a 5 gal bucket of used motor oil for a bit before I installed them !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
update: been a few days sinse I posted any pics, been very busy lately on my cabin. got the rear roof truss's up, all decked, felt paper down, and put the shingles down at 6:00am this morning, finished the cap at 10:00 am !. main roof is done !. ground is a mess as you can see all around the bottom..lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looking good, yes working alone does slow things down, i was at my cottage starting a new outhouse, sure was glad my 9 yr old grandson was with me and is a great little worker, hope he can come with me next trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Looking good, yes working alone does slow things down, i was at my cottage starting a new outhouse, sure was glad my 9 yr old grandson was with me and is a great little worker, hope he can come with me next trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i like those little helpers, an let them do all they can. whether they can or not..
my nieces, though only 5 an 6, if that, i would stick a wood grenade, or a wedge, in a piece of walnut, and let them split it, with the 1lb. hammer. they thought they were tuff stuff.
shame, walnut was cut for firewood..

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How many miles you put on that truck so far?
what does it matter ?..its a chevy !. and just to answer your question ( which I should not have too ), my truck has over 262k on it, all original miles at that :).

21 - 40 of 44 Posts