Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I am new to the list and thought I would ask for some help. I have been reading posts trying to learn about the differences in the models these days. We had some three wheelers and 4 wheelers when I was young that we used mostly for hunting and around the house utility work. I am planning to buy one soon but am not sure with all the models out there what would best suit my needs. I am looking for a utility type ATV that will mostly be used for pulling a small trailer carrying fire wood and landscaping supplies around the property. The trailer is pretty much the same size I used long ago with my 200cc three wheeler, but the terrain may be a bit more difficult than it was back then. It will also be used to trail ride a bit through woods and also to play in the snow when that happens a few times a year. It will not receive heavy use or abuse, and I am not interested in trying to find out how fast it goes every time I ride it. I have street bikes, so they fill that void for me. I know the four wheelers back then always seemed really strong in my opinion and seemed to pull loads well. Is four wheel drive needed in my case? I like the idea of being able to play in the snow and drift a bit with a 2wd, and the 4wd might not be as much fun to slide around on? I have never rode a 4wd one in the snow, so I can not judge how they behave. What models have 4wd that is part time and can be engaged when needed and how reliable of an option is it? I definitely am not wanting any automatic or electric shift models, so what ones still have manual shift and what years are they? I am an old school guy, where simpler is better and have never been tired of changing gears before. I do not like unnecessary stuff that can fail like that. Reliability is a big concern for me. I service my vehicles and am a pretty accomplished motorcycle mechanic, but the atv's we had back then always seemed bullet proof more or less. I want one that is the same way. I have no idea what the difference is between a recon, rancher, rincon, etc and do not know what models are best suited to my needs. I want to buy a solid used model that will last, and do not want to get a lot of money tied up in it's purchase or repairs. Any and all assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe in Raleigh NC

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forums man.I'm the same as mud.Talk to HELMUT.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I would get the 450 or 500 Foreman. They are very dependable and you can get foot shift. I think starting in 2003, they have the push button 4 wheel drive(Traxlok), so you can take them out of 4 wheel drive and enjoy 2 wheel drive in the snow. The Traxlok is very dependable and works well. It is definitely hard to make a 4X4 slide in snow. Either one should work well for what you want. The 500 is just a little bigger in size and has a little better ride, but the 450 does good also. The Rancher wood work, also, but I seem to like the Foremans better. I believe they are tougher and more dependable. I doubt that you would need anything bigger than a 500. It would just use more gas and I doubt you would really need the extra power. The 450 or 500, either one, has plenty of power. This my opinion on the matter. Hope it helps.

As far as cost, the 450 Foreman would probably be the best option, as I see a lot of good ones in good condition sell for $2,000 and under.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. That is definitely the kind of information I am looking for, and the price you mentioned is pretty much what I had in mind to spend. Tougher and more dependable is definitely what I am looking for. :wink:

Regards,
Joe

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
This site has specs on all the models going back many years.

General info is that the foreman is more basic, air cooled, carb fuel, has standard pull starter backup. The rancher [newer models] are fuel injected, liquid cooled, pull start is an option and they didn't have traxloc until recently, but sit a little lower and are a tad smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info Pain. I look forward to reading on that link as time allows. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts