Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just got rid of my Honda's last year we only do trail riding, Honda's were believably reliable, but not very comfortable on the trail. But if I were using a machine for a daily chore would definitely buy Honda. I did buy two Can Am 570's and love both of them because of the ride on the trails, but I think the Honda would be more reliable for daily work. Imo.FF

·
Premium Member
12,282 Posts
My buddy has a 2015 570 , we talk about what all he has broke on his bike all the time , it is bizarre , he is on his third rear diff , 2 front diff , 6th belt , 2nd clutch , trailing arm bushings , u joint broke and cracked a chuck off the housing , a dozen or more tie rod ends ,he carries two spares with wrenches , maybe 10 cv-shafts , I remember he broke two in one day ,broke a cv-shaft loading up in his truck , it did a u-turn on the ramps and how he didn't get seriously hurt I don't know as I was standing right next to it and pull the bike up so he could crawl out , he has broke both after market and Can-Am OEM , new display , the stator came apart and all the pieces grinded around and tore everything up , you name it and he has had it changed under the warranty or the extended warranty / insurance program or doing it himself when the 5 week wait for service was too much to wait , if you just go to the dealer and see the bikes in line for repair , you would never buy one ------- I assisted him to change the spark plugs on his 570 , hope that you never have to do it -----very fast , comfortable , but they fall apart , too much motor for the drive train ----- I say all the time ,for the kind of riding we do a Can-Am , if you are lucky , it is a ride it twice and work on it once kind of bike ------- you need to learn thumb control and not rag it cause it will rag you , that thumb is going to cost you an arm and a leg ----they might be a good trail touring bike , but if you put it in the mud you are going to pay with lost riding time for warranty repair or money to do it yourself -----we were adding up all the time his bike has spent in the shop getting warranty work , and it is about 6 months that he has paid notes while the bike was in the shop ----- he doesn't want to pull anyone out the woods as it burns the belt up , and his is the hardest bike to pull out the holes and woods when not running , very heavy and once it is stuck , don't try to keep running it to get it out or it will burn the belt , pull out the winch (x 2 ) , we have had to leave his 570 in the woods over night twice already and go back the next day with heavier equipment ----his son has same year 2015 Outlander 1000 , he has been thru a lot more than his Dad , I know he is on his third engine rebuild and running the Maverick rear end cause he blew up so many OEM diffs

·
Premium Member
12,282 Posts
That is true , abuse anything and you are going to pay !!! But , you can abuse a Honda a lot more , they take a licking and keep on ticking ( Honda Tap and all )

I see equipment engines that are forgiving and some that are not , an old school Kubota ( pre-TIER 3 ) you could run it dry of oil 3 times , run it hot 3 times and miss your oil change by 800 hours and it will keep going , do just one of any of those scenerios , just one time on a Perkins , Yanmar or Detuzs and you will lucky to survive it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know nothing about Cam Am and the reason I know nothing about them is because Honda is all I need when it comes to 4 wheeling. Honda is too reliable and has a good parts network to not use them.

I vote Honda.

Hotrods are fun and everybody should have atleast one in their life so they will understand how they take all your money and you have to constantly work on them and then you will learn you want reliability and good price.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Weights may surprise you. Yes your 300 Honda is a lot lighter than a 1000 Outlander Max XMR, obviously. Let’s look at comparable machines for a change....

Rubicon DCT EPS 729lbs Curb Weight

Outlander 570L DPS 704lbs Dry Weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
Weights may surprise you. Yes your 300 Honda is a lot lighter than a 1000 Outlander Max XMR, obviously. Let’s look at comparable machines for a change....

True enough. I guess it depends on the app/
Friend of mine used to run the hydro for NB Power, he said the heavier machines were best for breaking down the old Alder trees. He had an Arctic Cat & his co-worker a Rubicon (older). The cat would break the trails as the Rubi couldnt push through some of the brush.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts

True enough. I guess it depends on the app/

Friend of mine used to run the hydro for NB Power, he said the heavier machines were best for breaking down the old Alder trees. He had an Arctic Cat & his co-worker a Rubicon (older). The cat would break the trails as the Rubi couldnt push through some of the brush.

Yep I’ve found the same thing, breaking trail through bush as a surveyor the heavier machines make much better battering rams lol

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
I'll chime in on this... I'm a Honda fan and would rate Yamaha equally too. As for Can-Am, all the issues and breakages I've heard and read about are usually on mud bikes or modded bikes that weren't modded properly! Over on FB I read posts daily where folks moan about axles breaking, what do they expect though running 34" tires on stock axles?!
CanAm aren't big here in the UK so all I'm going by is what I read online, I'm yet to read a post where a CanAm has failed being used as it was intended.

Following the maintenance schedule makes a big difference of course. I could also throw in the old saying here too, 'power costs money'!
I think it's safe to assume 90% of CanAms are abused, you don't hear about the other 10% because there treated properly and of course don't cause issues.

Buy a new Honda, treat it as hard as you like and you'll still have it along with a decent bank balance in 20 years time! Lol.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hmmmmm...... Ride a Can Am twice and work on it once then have to fix it? That certainly hasn't been my experience in the last 20 times I had mine out nor my half a dozen buddies that I ride with who have owned them for the last 8-10 years either. Of corse where we ride if you chose to not have some discernment and common sense with the throttle, you wouldn't be alive long enough to have to even worry about having to fix any machine you chose to ride. Too much to see around here, too many steep trails, and too many tight turns and steep mountains to fall off of. I loved my Ranchers, they were dependable, sturdy, and unbelievably fuel efficient, but rode like a brick on the trails. My brother uses his 420 on a 400 acre farm and loves his, but sure Loves to swith out when we're on the trail. My experience has Been extremely positive with "zero" issues or repairs with either of my 570's. I guess those guys on the Can Am forum with 30-40,000 kilometers are doing something right. So I'll for the regular fluid changes and scheduled maintenance and see how it goes for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am brand new to this forum, came here looking for help with things I want to do with my 2015 Foreman, but since I also own a Can-Am, I thought I would chime in.

Don't pile on me because I am new here please. I just want to throw in some observations from my limited experience.

You can see my machines in my sig line. The Can-Am I acquired used with 31 hours on it in 2011. I bought the Honda new, after having an older Rancher for a little while.

We only ride hunting club roads, trails, and sometimes make our own way through the woods.

The Can-Am rides like a dream, can haul or pull anything. But, I hate the belt drive. Just this past hunting season, it dropped a valve and basically destroyed the engine. That's with 345 hours on it. I wound up buying a rebuilt engine because the parts were very expensive, not to mention the special tools needed for a rebuild were very difficult to source. The rebuilt engine was $3,000.

My Foreman on the other hand has been flawless so far. Probably has 200+ hours on it now. Ride is a little stiff with the mono shock and straight rear axle, but it is an awesome machine.

My vote is for a Honda.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
21 Participants
dragfan66
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing