Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 rancher 350 FE, i rebuilt the top end this spring (0.25mm overbore, new piston rings and gaskets) it was running good, then at about 500kms started leaking oil from the base of the head, i went in, fixed that, but now shortly after that (probably less than 50kms, it started smoking. what could it be? it is burning a lot of oil. Am i supposed to replace the head gasket any time i have the head off? could it leak through that? could i have rotated the piston rings? I didn't replace the valve seals when I rebuilt the top end, but i wouldn't think it would burn that much oil so suddenly. what do All of you think?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes all head gaskets must be replaced and if you didn't get a good kit to rebuild it, it won't last long

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, ill replace the head gasket, all my parts are genuine Honda, so they shouldn't be wearing out yet

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh ok well gaskets aren't that expensive and don't have to be from Honda, sometimes Honda parts are over rated, make sure the valves are cleaned off and set back to the bore setting

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh ok well gaskets aren't that expensive and don't have to be from Honda, sometimes Honda parts are over rated, make sure the valves are cleaned off and set back to the bore setting

Over rated as compared to what? Would like to know what you are using in place of Honda parts, please don't say all ballz lol.

I used to buy from most major manufacturers direct such as timken, skf, felpro, moog, Stewart warner, ac Delco, airtex, bosch, motorcraft, etc as a purchaser in the automotive industry a few years back, but I see these as being the same type of manufacturers that Honda would use for their parts. I will note that several of these companies quality went way down in the late 90's when they really started sending large parts of their production to China. Not sure if the current status however since I have been out of both the automotive and purchasing for several years now.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
my question is, did you check to make sure the crank rod was good BEFORE you rebuilt the top end ????, if you did not ?, and the crank has bottom play or top play at the wrist pin ?, your top end rebuild was you singing in the rain, WORTHLESS !, LOL. what I mean is, even with a new top end, piston, rings, bored over, if the connecting rod is bad ?, what will happen is the connecting rod will have too much slop in it, causing it to put bad pressure on the rings, wearing them out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the connecting rod, when i rebuilt it and then again when i replaced that gasket. No play, seems good, although i'm new at all this. the piston and rings seemed fine after 500 kms, the cylinder too.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
A blown head gasket can make it suddenly start burning a LOT of oil. When you take the head off from the motor that head gasket must be replaced with a new one. Every time! Replace the cylinder base gasket too (and clean cases & put a dab of sealer in the crankcase joints under that gasket), if you've had the cylinder off. Let us know how it goes if you can..?

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
you say every thing was okk till after you took it apart then I would have to guess when you took the jug off the piston to change the lower gasket , you either damaged a ring , mis-indexed a ring , or introduced dirt to the rings

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
indexing the ring gaps would be making sure that no two gap were in the same position , when you take it back apart , you can take the rings off the piston and put a ring into the bore and measure the gap at the split of the ring , do it at the top of the bore , middle and bottom , and measure with a feeler gauge , look to your manual for the specs limits -------- by doing that you can also see if the bore is egg shaped down at the bottom of the bore

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I found my issue, I can move the piston with my finger, it seems like its slapping the side, there was no scoring, but there was some abnormal wear. i looked at it with a mechanic friend, he doesnt do atvs, but he said that it was a big gap. I'd say the guys i got to bore it out messed it up, im going to call them and see if they'll give me a refund or re-bore it, either way, i'm selling the bike, its been nothing but trouble, and I've put enough into it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think I found my issue, I can move the piston with my finger, it seems like its slapping the side, there was no scoring, but there was some abnormal wear. i looked at it with a mechanic friend, he doesnt do atvs, but he said that it was a big gap. I'd say the guys i got to bore it out messed it up, im going to call them and see if they'll give me a refund or re-bore it, either way, i'm selling the bike, its been nothing but trouble, and I've put enough into it.

Did they have the piston when they bored it? so it should have been done as a matched set...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts