Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy was learning to climb a hill last night and learned not to pin it in 3rd 20 yards before hitting the base of the hill. He got about halfway up before the front end got up over him, from the top of the hill all I could see was skid plate and feet...not a good feeling. Miraculously he was relatively OK, just some scrapes and strained muscles, but while I was checking on him the bike sat upside-down for about 10 minutes. I rolled her over, bent the handlebars back up, and turned over the motor without even thinking about it. POOOOF went the smoke :) I had my brother tow me back up to the house and I let her sit overnight. This morning I ran it for about five minutes and it is still smoking, not nearly as bad, but when I rev the engine it is worse. I can't imagine any internal engine damage would have occurred and that oil must have just gotten out the open exhaust valve and into the pipe (I hope). The airbox looks dry, though I didn't check the inside of the filter yet. The question is: Have any of you had the bike upside-down for a while like that and how long did it smoke for?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Sometimes when I work on them, I put them on their side and then, they smoke when I turn them back over and start them, but it usually burns the oil out and quits smoking in a few minutes. I've never let one sit upside down long, though, but I would say it will eventually burn the oil out and quit smoking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Helmut, the logical gearhead in me says that too...I guess it's just the paranoid overprotective parent who just watched their newborn flip down a hill three times seems blind to simple fact LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts