Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, this past weekend i was doing some riding down in leitchfeild KY, at royal farm and atv trails. everything was going good for the first day, saturday, then on sunday as we were loading up for another trip, the worst thing happened. when i bought my bike, it was used, the bendix, or something like that, was not working which prevented my electric start. this was o.k. because it was also equipped with a pull start, but on this particular day, it decided to snap...
it wasnt such a big deal, i knew how to fix it, so we did, replaced the rope, it worked fine, but after it started we went riding, and i shut it down a bit later, when i went back to start it again, i noticed that the tooth inside the pull start had stabbed through the casing that encloses it... now i have no way whatsoever to start my bike, and i really need someone to help me out there.
im 15, and am trying to learn how to turn a wrench, please help.:mad:

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Welcome to the site, someone will get you an answer soon.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
you will probably have to go to the dealer and buy a new pull start assembly and cover. welcome to the forums.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Welcome to the Forums...... I need year and model of your quad please so I can pull a schematic and see what your talking about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey yall, this past weekend i was doing some riding down in leitchfeild KY, at royal farm and atv trails. everything was going good for the first day, saturday, then on sunday as we were loading up for another trip, the worst thing happened. when i bought my bike, it was used, the bendix, or something like that, was not working which prevented my electric start. this was o.k. because it was also equipped with a pull start, but on this particular day, it decided to snap...
it wasnt such a big deal, i knew how to fix it, so we did, replaced the rope, it worked fine, but after it started we went riding, and i shut it down a bit later, when i went back to start it again, i noticed that the tooth inside the pull start had stabbed through the casing that encloses it... now i have no way whatsoever to start my bike, and i really need someone to help me out there.
im 15, and am trying to learn how to turn a wrench, please help.:mad:
Welcome (I'm new myself). Depending on your cash flow? I've seen complete starters for $50.00 to $80.00 depending on what year and size your ATV is.

I've been in the same situation as you're in right now. The biggest thing is getting the exact part you need to properly repair your ATV, and get the correct part the first time.

TRX25fiveO is absolutely correct in saying he needs your info so he can help locate your parts. Just let him know so he can help you and give you some ideas where to get them so you can be off and running.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a 1999 honda recon. 250x. i dont know what else to give. if there is anything else you may need to know, send a private message or reply on here and ill get back to you as soon as i caN. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Where in KY do you live? I am from Meade Co. Near Elizabethtown. I would say go talk to Jacob at AdventureSports In Elizabethtown. He always gives me a pretty good deal and is strait foward. What Kind of condition is Royal in. I have not been there in a few years. Welcome to the Forums!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in louisville, royal is okay, really muddy, as you can see from my only pic of my stepdad stuck in the mud there

·
Registered
130 Posts
its a 1999 honda recon. 250x. i dont know what else to give. if there is anything else you may need to know, send a private message or reply on here and ill get back to you as soon as i caN. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
Go to Bikebandit.com to make sure this is the correct part number and engine for your ATV. I pulled up the only 1999 TRX250 Recon on their books I could find. Before ordering you should call first.

You'll need to pull up their schematic and look at the complete lay-out to make sure the recoil unit is all you really need?

I found their part number for their complete recoil start is
175420-001 and their cost is $71.18

I checked other places, but Bike Bandit seems to be about the best in price and availability right now.

bikebandit.com 1-888-339-3888

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts