Just to provide an update on progress: today I attempted to drill down beside or parallel to the broken easy-out with a cobalt drill with no success.
So I dug out my old trusty brake adjustment tool and worked it into the pruge hole on top of the easy-out that was sticking up on top of the nut. I gave it a couple of yanks and pop !!!!! out falls the entire broken piece of the easy-out on the floor.
I cleaned up the hole with a 7/64 inch drill. I did not attempt to remove the remaining broken bolt from the nut. The old bolt now has a neat 7/64 inch hole in it which is just perfect for tapping out for a 1/8 inch bolt.
Tomorrow I will buy a good quality tap set and install a new 1/8 inch bolt which is kinda small but will hold the purge plate just fine (the other purge plate bolt is bigger... a total of two purge plate bolts).
You all are exactly right.... I need to keep the purge plate in tact for riding in certain federal/state parks plus it must remain removable for blowing out the carbon from to time.
thanks to all for all the help and good ideas,,,