Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to change atv tires yourself?I have access to a hydrolic press or something similar at work if thats needed.ive heard the tires are hard to remove from the rim, also how hard is it to get the new tires to seat?Im just trying to avoid an extra 50 or so dollars to have 4 tires mounted. the tires are 16x7.0x8 . so they are pretty small.any help would be appreciated.thanks,Dave

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I have never taken mine off but I have broke the bead to get debris out and replace valve stems. and reseating was easy with a compresser. I would try it. It depends on if you care about scratchs on your rims.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've dismounted and mounted so many tires for my j10 (33" tall to 40") but I am going to be doing mine for my 400ex as well. They are a little taller at 22x7-10. The more sidewall you have, the easier it is to remove and install the tire. I'd let the air out completely and the try a press. I'm just going to use a couple of different style prybars.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I'm letting my local Atv repair shop do mine. But it will be a long time before I need new tires. Mine only have about 10 hours on them. They are the original tires as well. lmao

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys,I will attempt this at work with the press and prybars,so we will see.I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Its not that bad, just make sure when your reseating your new tires soak the bead of the rim in wd40 so that the rubber slides into place easyer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well,as it turns out,my sons quad,trx70, has split rims or 2 piece.so all I needed was a 12mm socket an extension and a wratchet.5 minutes the old tire was off,I cleaned the surfaces and applied some beadlock and put it all back together and inflated and seated tire with a bycicle pump.pretty cool learning experience,cheap tires too:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
You are lucky manwap. I had to get the bead over a lip on the rim on both sides. Next time I order tires, I'm just going to order whels with them and have them mount them. I was about to do both front in about an hour though.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
non-pumice GO-JO is the best thing for putting on tires, I do all the tires I change with it. Backhoes, skidloaders, cars. so it should work well for atv

1 - 9 of 9 Posts