Honda ATV Forum banner

Brake rebuild, no pressure in brake afterwards

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
First attempt at redoing my brakes, seals were rotten and pistons barely moved (rusty). So I bled the breaks sort of, big mess not too much into the designated container but it all came out more or less?

Pulled the pistons, replaced seals, sanded rust off pistons by hand and reinstalled all parts coated with brake fluid. Seemed good, no pitting inside the calliper. So I refilled the brakes from the top by filling master cylinder box (didn’t let it empty), pumped the brakes lots until no more air bubbles came the tube and retightened bleeder values then took off hose. Did left side first then right as that was the furtherest from the master cylinder. Biggest thing I noticed was brake handle never really stiffened was floppy(?) the entire time, took long time to clear air. Tested everything before put the wheels back on and the brakes definitely grabbed the discs. However soon as I took it for a rip I realized the brakes didn’t do anything in reality hah. Brake handle is still floppy, almost have to move it back from the clenched position but not quite that bad.

So anyone willing to read the wall of text and provide some insight? It’s a Honda 500 2011 (foot shift). The master cylinder was replaced about 3 years ago so hopefully that part is good (Shop did that).

#2 ·
One trick I'll suggest is to try bleeding right at the master cylinder. Remove the reservoir cap and observe the brake fluid as you loosen the bolt that connects the brake line. Crack the bolt enough to let fluid out and slowly squeeze the lever. Before you release the lever, tighten the bolt up, then release lever all the way. It can be messy but if there's air trapped this will help remove it. You may need to tap the lever a few times until no more air bubbles are visible in the reservoir. Bleeding brakes can be a real challenge sometimes, hope this helps.

#4 ·
So potentially a big pocket of air in the line somewheres. I’m also wondering if seals in the master cylinder are failing or if the piston In the master cylinder is somehow stuck.

Wasnt getting any pressure no matter how many times I pumped even long after air bubbles stopped coming out

#5 ·
unbolt the line from the master cylinder, top the master cylinder off with the correct brake fluid, then follow the directions in the brake area, read the sticky on '' how to bleed brakes on atvs '' by me.

#6 ·
and if you can't get any lever pressure with the line clamped off in my directions sticky ?, then yes..the master cylinder prob needs to be rebuilt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.