Honda ATV Forum banner

Brake Panel Removal Tricks/Tips???

12K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ostrx250 
#1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals, I need some help.
I just picked up a used/abused 2006 TRX250EX for my wife. The rear brakes are shot. I'm trying to remove the brake panel and can only get it to budge about 1/8 of an inch and it won't come any further. If I pry much harder I'm afraid it's going to break. I removed the axle nuts, cables, and the five bolts that hold the brake panel to the diff housing. Does anyone have any tips/trick for getting it off?

In the picture below, I'm trying to remove item 3. I've already removed items 7 and all five 23s

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

2006 Honda TRX250EX SPORTRAX EX OEM Parts, 2006 Honda TRX250EX SPORTRAX EX OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

#2 ·
can you get to the shoes from the front of the drum ?..if so..knock the shoes back inwards as your prying the drum off..there is a drum isn't there ?..or is it disk ?..the link you posted doesn't show back brakes !..lol..and i don't know alot about sport quads..lol..if it is drum..spray some wd-40 on the axle ..right where the drum meets the axle..oh..not sure..but is there a o-ring around the axle right there at the drum ??..sometimes there is one..it's kinda hard to see if it's rusted over.

#3 ·
nm..found your brakes..that backing plate will come off..that is..if you got all the nuts off ??..lol..try tapping it with a rubber mallet..or hammer if you don't have a rubber mallet. from the sound of it..your bearings are siezed up inside the axle tubbing...there shouldn't be anything holding it in there once you get the nuts off..make sure to pry at two sides at once..this will keep it from binding up.

#4 ·
It has drum brakes, but it doesn't have the o-ring. Also, he will be prying the backing plate off instead of the drum. The shoes come off with the backing plate and the drum stays on.

ADDED: Nevermind, you see what I'm talking about now.

#5 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have beat/tapped on it with a rubber mallet, pryed from all angles, and it won't budge. I've tried moving the cam back and forth to free things up (it's incredibly difficult to move). I didn't know if there was a trick that someone might know of. Sorry my link didn't work correctly, I don't know what happened there. If you click on my link and then scroll over and click on "rear brake drum", you can see what I'm talking about. As helmut said, there is no o-ring; just a dust seal. I don't think the bearing is seized because it will move pretty freely for the first 1/8 inch. I'm thinking the shoes are hung up or destroyed inside the drum??? Any other suggestions? (my last post was my first post btw. thanks for the help, this is a great site)

#6 ·
your brake cam is frozen..making the brake shoes bind on the drum..try to push or pull the brake cam backwards, once this is done..your drum will slide right off..well..it should anyway...keep us posted.

#7 ·
your brake cam is frozen..making the brake shoes bind on the drum..try to push or pull the brake cam backwards, once this is done..your drum will slide right off..well..it should anyway...keep us posted.
Well, I think you're right about my shoes being in a bind on the drum. I moved the cam all the way to the rear position and it didn't help. The cam is INCREDIBLY difficult to move. I think it should move freely except for the spring tension the shoes are putting on it. I'm really thinking the shoes may have come apart or broken inside the drum. Any other suggestions for getting the brake panel off? It's personal now!

This has really got me upset. I'm no mechanic by any means, but I'm pretty handy. I should at least be able to change brakes.

#8 ·
have you tried to pry it off by prying it a little at a time,other words pry a little in one spot ,then slowly moving around the cover prying as you go or go back and forth prying a little at a time. I had to do this with my back brakes on my '85 250 four trax. Remember the back brakes has a hub cover ,then the hub itself, just not a hub by itself like a car.

#9 ·
I think I figured out why it won't come off. I believe there is a metal collar that is/was part of the dust seal that has siezed to the axle. I can't really access it to cut it off with a dremel. I'm thinking about pulling the whole axle with the brake panel still attached so I can get a better look.

#10 ·
I am having the same problem. I can spin the cover easily around the drum but it will not separate from the drum and locks up as soon as I pry it up a little bit. I have a 2006 Recon 250 and have removed all screws as well as the brake cam arm which is frozen in place. I could get it to lock the drum by hitting it with a hammer. I have hammered on the cam (with a piece of 2x4) and tried to knock the cam through but no luck. Is it possible the drum has a groove worn in it that has the shoes stuck under? The cam will not release further and I have sprayed penetrating oil on everything. Any other thoughts?

#11 ·
You can't knock the cam through on the 250 Recon, it needs to come off with the cover. And yes, there could be a groove worn in the hub that the shoes are hung on or the shoes may be hung on that big metal ring that goes around the inside of the drum. The only other think I can think of is the bearing in the cover could be seized on the axle.

#12 ·
I'm not sure if I understand the situation you have completely, but from what i've read, I was thinking maybe you could put the axle nuts back on, and take off the rear left hub and pound the axle with the mallet to try to drive the whole axle and brake panel off together.
I'm fairly certain thats how it happened when i changed my axle and rear brakes before.

#13 ·
Yeah, that might work, but I wouldn't bother with putting the axle nuts back on. Since the axle comes out the right side, it won't matter if the axle nuts are on or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.