Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new the the forum so I have a few questions! I tried the search function with no success. I just bought a fixer upper 1997 TRX300EX and it has no rear light. Looking at the only two wires there and testing them with a meter I found one is hot and the other is ground. So for my question did the 97 rear light work as a brake light or not? I think not but maybe I am missing something! If not how can I modify the setup so it will do so? Thanks inadvance

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I think it was only a tail light, no break light , Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Nope it didnt come with one. If its only got 2 wires ones ground the others hot. Dunno if there even is a way to make it have one besides maybe mount a completely seperate light. Its not gunna be fun though because you would need to put a switch to engage the break light on the breaks some how.

Oh yeah welcome to the family btw , i always forget that part lol

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I am new the the forum so I have a few questions! I tried the search function with no success. I just bought a fixer upper 1997 TRX300EX and it has no rear light. Looking at the only two wires there and testing them with a meter I found one is hot and the other is ground. So for my question did the 97 rear light work as a brake light or not? I think not but maybe I am missing something! If not how can I modify the setup so it will do so? Thanks inadvance
Welcome to the forums. The '97 just had a taillight only, no brake light.

To modify it for a brake light, you would need to buy the taillight/brake light assembly, the brake switches for the foot brake and the handlebar mounted lever. You would also need the wiring and you would have to fabricate a mount for the foot brake switch to mount on the frame. For the hand brake lever, you would probably have to get the whole hand lever assembly. You could get all these parts from a newer model ATV that has the brakelight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can I find out which model front brake and switch assembly would work? I am not worried about the rear brake working the light just the front.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
How can I find out which model front brake and switch assembly would work? I am not worried about the rear brake working the light just the front.
You would just need the front hand brake lever and switch assembly, then.

I'm not sure that any model of the 300EX had the brake light? I'm not saying they didn't, I just don't know. I just looked at a wiring diagram for a 2001-2006 300EX and it just shows the taillight. The newer models of the 400EX, on the other hand, did have a brake light and the handlebar lever and switch assembly should work on the 300EX. The 2005-up 400EX had the brake light. Then, you would have to find the taillight/brake light assembly. I don't know if the 400EX would bolt directly to the 300EX or not, but it might. You would probably have to run your own wiring to operate it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I was thinking! I will run my own wiring but I have to find out will the brake lines work with the newer brake master cylinder!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
If all else fails you can buy braided flex break line. But im pretty sure all years had the same breakline ends on them. Dont think they really changed that much.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yeah just looked at my brothers 06 400ex and my 96 300ex and they are the same brakeline ends. The whole thing looks like it would mount right up.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah just looked at my brothers 06 400ex and my 96 300ex and they are the same brakeline ends. The whole thing looks like it would mount right up.
Yeah, it should be the same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
He asked if they would mount right up. and i remembered in my garage was the answer to his question lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help guys! :hail: Now I will have to search out my parts to do this conversion!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
No prob good luck and tell me how it goes i may be looking into doing the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts