Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the brake pads on my 03 400ex. I got the back brake done (only took me two nights :rolleyes:) but I can not get the front pistons to push in far enough to get both new pads in. It seems like there is just too much fluid in the system (like someone filled it when the pads got low instead of replacing them). Should I just remove the brake resiviour cap and let it leak out and then when I am done, just let it gravity bleed?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
could try that. Doest brake fluid containers say to keep closed though. dont let it grvity feed to long is what i am saying. I replaced mine and they were easy to push in with a C clamp. It may have air in the system now. My buddy had a hard time pushing his in so he unhooked the brake hose and put it back and bleed the brakes his ended up fine. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
yes dot 3 or 4. Just loosen the bleed screw on the caliper. thats what it's there for. like tom said take a c-clamp and an old pad and squeeze the piston in, you will push fluid out of the bleed screw but thats ok after you get the piston all the way in tighten the bleeder back up and then remove the clamp. install new pads bolt up depress the brake lever slowly until it gets firm, stop and check your fluid top it off put the cap back on and check the brake lever agian. Happy riding.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yea, it wont hurt anything to leave the brakefluid cap off, i would take it off then use a C-Clamp, worst comes to worst u will just have to bleed your breaks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I sure do. Got them done, went out riding today and................

check out the other thread as to what happened :( (bad luck with a twist)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts