Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the rear brakes apart on my forman but the drum is hanging up on the shoes. is there any way to compress the shoes further in.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Front or back brakes? If it's the front, you can back the brakes off by turning the adjusters. If it's the rear, take your cable loose from the brake lever and push the lever back with your hand. Check to see if there's an o-ring under the edge of the brake drum where the drum meets the axle. If there is, you'll have to take the o-ring off first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right now the cable isnt even hooked up and there is still somthing keeping my brake shoes from retacting the rest of the way.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
are you making sure the brake arm is in the right position ?..try moving it back and forth while your tapping the brake drum with a hammer..don't hit the brake drum very hard..or it will break !...if the brake drum is not sealed..like it has holes in the front of it..you can knock the shoes back in.as your pulling the brake drum off..it if is sealed..yu'll just have to work the brake drum off with a hammer going from side to side..it should come off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got it off were good i just need to wait for the new shoes to show up and I will finally have breaks for the first time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tre333

Thanks for the info on getting the brakes drum off. shoes R good, drum is good, still don,t have brakes, could it be a bad return spring ? thanks for any input. I have the electronic version of the repair maual for the 02 foreman if ya need it. thanks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks for the info on getting the brakes drum off. shoes R good, drum is good, still don,t have brakes, could it be the master cylinder, thanks for any input. I have the electronic version of the repair maual for the 02 foreman if ya need it. thanks.
Have you bled the brakes?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If it's the rear drum brakes, you don't have a master cylinder or fluid lines. All you have is a cable and if you have the cable adjusted up, then I don't know what the problem could be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you can't get your brakes to engage at all either you need to adjust the brakes in the back or else your cable could be broke or kinked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts