Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I created a new thread for this since I suspect others might find the info useful. I have split the case on my TRX300FW and I've been looking around for some information on how to inspect all the parts to determine what needs to be replaced. I can find lots of info on how to open the case, clean the carb, set the timing chain, etc. but can't find much on how to go through all bearings, gears, etc inside the bottom case and determine what needs what.

Can someone point me to a sticky or Youtube video for some direction? Or maybe just post some instructions here in this thread? Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I normally scrape the heavy stuff, then hose with starter fluid.

On the bearings, spin them while spraying with starter fluid. This will usually get any rough spots out. Grab the inner race and see if there is play in the bearing. If there is, replace. If it feels pretty tight, run it.

On the gears it's tough because it requires tearing down the transmission. On a 300 I don't know that I would go through the trouble unless you know there were transmission problems.

If you do want to do that, I would suggest pulling it in a specific order so it goes back together in the same order. Make sure you the gears oriented as they were while assembled in relation to one another. Broken teeth can easily be seen with the transmission together and assembled. The dogs on the inside of the gears that mesh are only easily inspected with the transmission apart. Look for rounded or scarred dogs.

I don't recall seeing any problematic transmission gears in a 300 like there are on some other models (05-08 Foreman 500 1st gear and 420 Rancher 4th gear), so again, don't know that I would pull it down unless you are just curious as to how it all works together.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What were the symptoms causing the tear down?

Nevermind, I clicked the link and see it was swamped. Good move splitting the case. Jeep gave good info on cleaning out the bearings. Air cooled Hondas are super tough, and normally don't have a lot go wrong with them. If you clean it out well and slap it back together (paying attention to detail of course), it will most likely run like new.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Take pics so we can follow along and ask lots of questions maybe...? I think you are doing a great job so far!

There are a few quirky things that you can get in trouble over during reassembly, so just take your time, take pics of progress etc. I expect we may have the more difficult time keeping up... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts