Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been researching boss bearings and on who makes them because they obviously dont make their own bearings. The only info I found was a post actually on this forum and the person said when they ordered from boss bearings the bearings came shipped in a kml bearing package. What I find odd about this is that kml makes bearings for all balls and moose racing amongst other brand's. I also noticed boss bearing sells a rear differential bearing/seal kit made by all balls. I'm trying to find out what separates boss bearing from cheap Chinese bearings. Not bashing them and kudos if they are that good but There is no way they are on par with the Japanese bearings so how do they do it? I'm starting to wonder if people get hung up on name brands and the old "this guy said this" and "that guy said that"....

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
all I know is, is I've used ''boss bearings '' a lot !!, and they have never let me down !!. do what you want ?, but I would buy from them in a heart beat !!.

Reactions: LBZ_Duramax

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all I know is, is I've used ''boss bearings '' a lot !!, and they have never let me down !!. do what you want ?, but I would buy from them in a heart beat !!.
I'm not saying they are not good , what I'm trying to determine is how his bearing's are so much better than every other big name out there that isn't made in Japan? From what ive read everyone rants about his bearings compared to all balls and other major brands yet knowone has explained what separates his quality from other's except for "they worked for me".

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I know this from experience... The all balls kit has one bearing for the brake panel that is too small.. I've been running a set of all balls in my front for 2 years and haven't had any problems...

That's the only problem I've had out of all balls... I did add grease to them as advised by other users...but haven't had one fail yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Looking at the kits on their website, at least 90% of the bearing kits I see are All balls, the Gasket sets on the Boss website are winderosa which I believe is either affiliated or owned by All Balls also. Even the pictures they use are the same as you'll find on the All Balls website. The ONLY one without a picture is the front wheel bearing kit, I idk, but you say they are KML too soo....

If it looks like shit, and smells like shit.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looking at the kits on their website, at least 90% of the bearing kits I see are All balls, the Gasket sets on the Boss website are winderosa which I believe is either affiliated or owned by All Balls also. Even the pictures they use are the same as you'll find on the All Balls website. The ONLY one without a picture is the front wheel bearing kit, I idk, but you say they are KML too soo....

If it looks like shit, and smells like shit.....
Hahaha. Personally I think they are the same just different packaging.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Don't know if he knows what he is talking about but I was told by the parts guy at Honda dealer in Picayune , MS , that Moose , Boss and AllBalls are all from the same place with different packaging --------------I do know a lot of companies do that , one of my favorite fishing lures is a Salt Water Assassin , the same lure comes in 4 different bags with different names in different areas of the country , Salt Water Assassin , Bass Assassin , Walleye Assassin and Fresh Water Assassin , it's a marketing thing

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know if he knows what he is talking about but I was told by the parts guy at Honda dealer in Picayune , MS , that Moose , Boss and AllBalls are all from the same place with different packaging --------------I do know a lot of companies do that , one of my favorite fishing lures is a Salt Water Assassin , the same lure comes in 4 different bags with different names in different areas of the country , Salt Water Assassin , Bass Assassin , Walleye Assassin and Fresh Water Assassin , it's a marketing thing
That's what I'm getting at. It's 100% marketing and they are for sure the same bearing. There is no way kml is making a different outside race for boss bearing to make it a tighter fit in the knuckles. People believe what they want. So some guys swear by them then others jump on the band wagon probably without ever using all balls before. I'm sure if you spec'd it with a mic to an all balls it would be the same. Tons of people bash all balls but praise boss bearing because they don't know the difference but in reality they are the same bearing. If this isn't the case then who ever owns boss bearing should be a frigging millionaire.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
That's what I'm getting at. It's 100% marketing and they are for sure the same bearing. There is no way kml is making a different outside race for boss bearing to make it a tighter fit in the knuckles. People believe what they want. So some guys swear by them then others jump on the band wagon probably without ever using all balls before. I'm sure if you spec'd it with a mic to an all balls it would be the same. Tons of people bash all balls but praise boss bearing because they don't know the difference but in reality they are the same bearing. If this isn't the case then who ever owns boss bearing should be a frigging millionaire.

Personally I only buy OEM wheel bearings, I've had little luck with much else. And I agree 100% with everything you just said.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
As one of the people who has bashed all balls, and talked up boss..... You may be right.

Lot of rebranding out there.

I've used one set of All Balls. Bearings were undersized and out of spec.

I thought my knuckles were bad. Found the same issue on another knuckle and discovered the bearings were out of spec.

Have ordered boss since (and one set of Pivotworks, which were good to go), and haven't had any more problems.

Maybe I just got a bad set of All Balls.

I know a friend of mine put all balls in his 06 Rubicon, and probably didn't get 1000 miles out of them before they need to be replaced again. He's running Outlaws though, so maybe that's normal.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Honestly If all boss did was take the all balls bearings out of the package and pack them full of good grease and stick them back in the same box they would be making a legitimate improvement on the all balls product lol

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I've tried '' all balls '' in the past, complete set on my '89 trx350D foreman, did not get hardly any miles on her, and every damn bearing from them failed !!. and yes, I know to repack them right out of the box !..lol. in my 18-19 years of doing this kinda work, I know a good product when i use it. '' all balls '' products are crap, pure junk. switched to '' boss bearings '' and have not had one bit of trouble yet.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Honestly If all boss did was take the all balls bearings out of the package and pack them full of good grease and stick them back in the same box they would be making a legitimate improvement on the all balls product lol

this is very common with their brand ^^^^^^!!!!.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
pull both brands of the box, pull the plastic races out of each bearing, and notice which one has the most grease packed in the bearing ?, my money says '' boss bearings '' has more grease !!.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I feel like buying both sets to compare for shits and giggles

go for it, we need some hard proof !!..lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd be very surprise if there was a difference at all. Think about the money involved for a bearing manufacture to change the tooling and manufacturing process just to change one part of a mass produced bearing for one company. They wouldnt change parts from all balls to moose to boss etc etc.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I'd be very surprise if there was a difference at all. Think about the money involved for a bearing manufacture to change the tooling and manufacturing process just to change one part of a mass produced bearing for one company. They wouldnt change parts from all balls to moose to boss etc etc.
don't know about the production type, or metal ?, but i do know for a fact !, '' all balls '' barely packs their bearings with grease.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I only use pivot works front wheel bearings now. But I WILL NOT use all balls. Ive ran them, always pre-packed with grease and they dont hold up. Ive used several sets of BOSS bearings and they are great also. I can just buy pivotworks cheaper most of the time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts