Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

STORY:
Today while riding my 2004 foreman 500, i started to hear an exhaust leak. when i pulled over and inspected my exhaust pipe, i noticed at the beginning of the pipe, where it connects to the cylinder head, there was no flange thing. (i forget what it is called but its what bolts to the head to hold the pipe) i found the flange thing farther down the pipe. when i looked to see why, there was a stud missing one one side and a nut missing on the other. (otherwords: nut and stud come off one side, nut came off and stud still in head on other side)

QUESTION:
On the now studless side: can i put in a bolt? and on the studded side: can i put on a new nut?

i would imagine this solution would work just as well as buying new studs and nuts but i just want to make sure im not missing anything that was super important.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
it would work, but it's the start of bodging and "making do", it will only escalate from there on and you'll end up with an ATV that's a wreck. Buy a stud and two nuts for what they cost, a lot of engineers merchants do studs (well they do over here).

Reactions: jw7054

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
you can buy the head studs from rocky mountain atv, as well as the nuts, both are metric.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
A stud is more than likely a higher tensile than a bolt which are usually 8.8, studs are usually 10.2 or higher. In a nutshell a stud will be better quality than a mass produced zinc plated bolt.
Go for a new stud is my advice.

Reactions: shadetree
1 - 4 of 4 Posts