Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 rancher 420. when it get hot after riding for awhile it will bog down like ignition is cutting out. if I let it cool down it will be ok for a little while. replaced coil and plug. thought that fixed it but issue is back, thoughts?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
carb atv here? if so, possibly vapor lock, maybe fuel cap breather not working right, CDI/ECU going out on you? bad oil temp sensor?

IF
EFI, maybe fuel pump going bad?
or again, bad CDI/ECU, oil temp sensor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
injected, no warning lights. has a temp light. for coolant I would guess. I work as a tech at a car dealer so comparing to car symptoms. would think if ignition module would shut down and not restart. fuel pump same thing. it stays running but won't get out of it's own way.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
low compression then?
Also, oil temp sensor will SHUT motor off if it hits a certain temp in oil, or if switch is faulty!
ECU can get crazy with controlling spark and such when they start to go bad!
a failing fuel pump will NOT have enough pressure to push/feed fuel as needed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stays running. when it does run it rubs fine no issue. only when run for a while and is at trail temp. ECU would make sense, FRED as we call it. freecken ridicules electrical device. as we call it in the automotive business

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
I have never seen a cdi get hot and shut down , cool down and work numerous times like that ---- but I am sure it could happen --------- I would think either a tank vent problem or the cylinder heating up , expanding and loosing compression

I wonder if you were to wrap a freeze pack or a bag of frozen vegetables around the cdi and ride it an see if it still shuts down , LOL

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: If you haven't changed the fuel filter yet that can cause the problem -- the fuel filter is in the sub fuel tank.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I have never seen a cdi get hot and shut down , cool down and work numerous times like that ---- but I am sure it could happen --------- I would think either a tank vent problem or the cylinder heating up , expanding and loosing compression

I wonder if you were to wrap a freeze pack or a bag of frozen vegetables around the cdi and ride it an see if it still shuts down , LOL
Fish when my CDI went, this is exactly what it would do, had me going nuts as couldn;t figure out what was wrong, tried all the basic's , all seemed fine,
would run great then after a few minutes or so running, get HOT< fan kick on, and then run like it had no power, would stall at random, shut off, re start, let cool down, and be fine again , and repeat, or NOT.
I went nuts trying all things, replaced a bunch of things, and then finally gave up, took to dealer and had them a go at it, they had it for 3 months, too , and re did everything I did, and then, they swapped in a new CDI< and BOOM< darn thing worked like new again?
only flaw in things was dealer CHARGED me for a new OEM CDI, a few weeks later things acted up and I checked to make sure CDI was plugged in good as they didn;t put it back together right(rubber holder wasn't holding it in place??)

that's when I found out they used a aftermarket CDI< and it didn;t fit in the rubber housing to hold it in place,
I swapped it out with a NEW OEM one, and its been running like new every since(about 8yrs now)
so, funny things can happen to electronic parts IMO< and I also think aftermarket electronic's are a gamble at best, and will NOT buy them , or at least for honda 4x4 atv's!
the sport atv's seem to have better luck with em!

I have also seen fuel pumps again, loose pressure, or have erratic pressure issue's<

compression test is needed here I think!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts

when i worked at the bowling alley's, some of the motors would overheat, an kick the thermal overload switch. i had em bring me ice from the snack bar, in a plastic bag. it would cool the motors down, then ya could push the reset button, and the bowlers could finish.
i had em going in 5 mins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts