Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im new here, and I've searched the forum and can't find anything related. And I know how y'all are in these forums, getting irritated at newcomers that don't search the forums first before posting a new topic. So. For starters, I just bought this thing 2 weeks ago. It's a 97 300ex that's apparently been bored over .30 and has a full hmf exhaust. And I'm pretty positive everything else is stock. Got it from some 16 year old who said he only had it for a month. Now. It ran great up until a few days ago. So. I just got done riding about 45 minutes ago. And noticed something weird. It started bogging real bad after sliding it around in my backyard around the bushes. The first time I noticed it bogging was when i stood it up, so I asked around and got the same answer from everyone. "The quads not meant to be 90 degrees up, so the float doesn't know what to do" now I've cleaned the carb, cleaned the Jets, cleaned the needle, ran carb cleaner through every crevice, compressed air, the whole 9. On a side note, idk if it's the timing chain or not, which I do assume it's a big possibility,, but wanted to get some genuine advice from other Honda owners. I've always owned Yamaha, but I've also always wanted a Honda. Just always been out of my price range. I hear clacking from somewhere in the motor, so I did the ol "stethescope" trick with a long extension and stick it to my ear. Nothing from the valves or anything from the top end. Took both covers off. Everhthing seems solid. But the lower I get in the motor, the more the noise gets louder. So I'm assuming it's either piston related or transmission related. It does leak oil from the oil filter housing but I keep oil in it so it's not low on lube juice. And it does change with pitch so it's definitely something moving. So I guess I'm asking for advice in both problems. Why am I bogging after just doing some little slides around bushes, and from donuts, and what would YOUR guess be as to what the noise is. I will post a video with the ex running so y'all can hear it better. Please help I'm a noobie here.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not too familiar with that carb, but does it have a vacuum secondary? The breather tube could be plugged somewhat. What about leaning it on its side a little & revving it? No lose wires attached to the coil under the tank are there? Have you checked what the float level is sup'd to be? I've tried & wheelied the 400EX & theres no issue with that IMO.
Did you run the gas line into a cup of something to check the flow from the tank? Also the tank breather may be pinching when you lean it a certain way.
Few simple things to check w/o tearing it all apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll check those things immediately. I've got everything taken off (plastics, gas tank, carb etc) and as I'm looking at the carb it's got a bunch of yellow varnish coming out the bottom around the bowl and around the choke. And it's very grimey and dirty, so maybe I just need to do a real deep deep cleaning on it. But I think you may be right about the pinched vaccuum. I had it on its side yesterday just riding around my yard on the right two wheels, and nothing seemed to affect it. But as soon as I stand it up, or slide it around it starts to act like a dickhead. And I really dont want to take it somewhere and have someone work on it because I like to do things myself. I'm prideful. But I'm gonna check what you said, and I'll see what I can find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts