Honda ATV Forum banner

901 - 920 of 946 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #901
Got home at 2:00 yesterday and before working on the 300 I decided to cut the grass as all the rain we had ,the grass was high and had finally dried out , I got about 5 minutes into it and the engine sound changed and started bogging under a load , the Kohler had jumped a push rod off before , removed valve covers and that wasn't the case this time , had blow-by coming out the block , done a compression test and had 90 on one side and 30 on the other -----a new Kohler 25 is costly , a rebuild would take a whole lot of time to pull off and cost , the Husqvarna 5225 is a 2006 model , grass cutting bites into my 4 wheeler time , so at 6:00 I pulled back into the yard with a 2019 Husqvarna MZ254 with a Kohler on the trailer , cut the grass , awesome machine , 0 down , 0% for 4 years , 4 year / 300 hour warranty

Attachments

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
While we're on zero turns, Dad told me a couple of days ago he's going to get one, and to do some research on which one to get.

Did you look at any other brands or go straight for the Husky?

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #905
That saw came in and I got to use it , it is smooth and I realize how much I messed it , made a plate to mount the flush mount led light in the front grill , the top line is crooked but it is hidden and I didn't feel like straightening it out , really has no effect on fitment , made a paper templet so if this works out well I can duplicate it for my other 300s

one thing I still have to do is drill the holes thru that plate for the grill screws , what I think I am going to do is screw the screws into the grill , apply some Liquid Paper or such on the heads of the screws , put the grill in place and it should mark where the holes need to go

one bad thing about the saw deal , I have 5 packs of the replacement blades , the price at Sears was $49.99 a set , they were on clearnace when Sears went out of business for $2.97 a set , but the inner blade fits , the outter blade arbor hole is too big , and I need to come up with a bushing insert for them to work

I was reading some procedures for polishing the plastics on facebook , and all are a lot of work , I had a bottle of protectorant , I sprayed a heavy coat over the fender and let it stay on there over night , when I wiped it off I was amazed at how much life it brought back to the blue plastic , it is so dark it looks purple , didn't do anything for the scratches but it is a dirt bike and not a lawn princess carriage

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #906
While we're on zero turns, Dad told me a couple of days ago he's going to get one, and to do some research on which one to get.

Did you look at any other brands or go straight for the Husky?
I posted on your thread about zero swings , I got 1.2 hours on the Hisqvarna so far and it is great , smooth , fast and clean cut , a lot more blowing power than my old one , turbo blowing action , it doesn't leave one leaf behind , in fact I had a few ant piles that I ran over and went back after wards with some ant killer and had a really hard time finding the mounds as they were gone , which is a bad thing I guess as I spread them around , should have killed them before cutting

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #907
Woah I bet that would cut my 1.5 acres of grass in under 15minutes. Takes me about 1h30 to do it with my YardMan 42" mower deck.
M'C' , I started off with a Craftsman lawn tractor , and would say about the same as you , it would take me 1 1/2 to cut 2 acres and a lotof that 2 acres is driveway , house , sheds , etc , I say the zero swing cut the time in half and a much cleaner cut

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I was reading some procedures for polishing the plastics on facebook , and all are a lot of work , I had a bottle of protectorant , I sprayed a heavy coat over the fender and let it stay on there over night , when I wiped it off I was amazed at how much life it brought back to the blue plastic , it is so dark it looks purple , didn't do anything for the scratches but it is a dirt bike and not a lawn princess carriage
What kind of spray did you use here?

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #909
I will have to go look at the bottle , something I got at a garage sale , some type of Generic ( either Advanced Auto or O'riely's protectorant )

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
Got some screws in the lights , they don't look too bad , I might put soem spacers behind them and get them closer to the grill

Jeep , that plastic protectant is from Advanced Auto , I just sprayed it on and let it soak in , never wiped it yet , I should have taken a pic of the fender before , I should have a pic , it really brought it back to life

I went on a demo of a old school machine shop yesterday , they had a 30 yard container full by the time I got there , I looked down in there and seen this drill press vise , got it out by my self , the drill press , lathe , and all types of machine hopm equipment was in the dumpster , but the truck was there to pick it up and sell it for scrap , at least I got one cool thing out of it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #911
Finished the front fender led light mod , have ordered an alarm box for the oil temp light problem of not lighting up and it has not arrived yet and that is holding me up on putting the front fender back on ------ still got to weld the muffler on and hopefully I will finish this one by the weekend and ride it

..... as good as the plastic looked after I put that protectant on it , the front fender was in the sun and faded back out after the liquid evaporated , the rear fender was in the shade and it still looks glossy , so that stuff doesn't last ---thought about doing the sanding and heat gun thing , but it is a mud bike , scares are signs of honor

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
You might like "Wipe New Recolor" on those plastics fishfiles. Full kits (enough to coat one ATV) are sold on ebay for about 15 bucks or so. I used it on my Rancher and its held up fine for over a year now. Just start with super clean degreased plastics and wipe the stuff on quite wet and thick and let it harden for 48 hours away from sunlight and moisture.

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #915
The top fence post of a high H.D fence happened to be perfect size to step up , got it all fitting really tight , found a clamp in the shed and it was 1/8 to small , better it is going to hard to find the right clamp and then weld the two pipes together on the other end

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #916
Some thing good happened , the alarm box came in , plugged it in and the temp light lights when the ignition is turned on and goes out after a few seconds like it should , used OEM part off e-bay for $15 and shipping was free , good deal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
Hooked up the snorkel tube and it fit , but getting your hand in there to the turn the free wheel knob was tight >>> so I am going to reroute the snorkel something like in this pic , nothing glued yet

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
Picking away at it , got the fan wired to a toggle and the direction of the fan going right , it is fairly quiet compared to a Honda fan motor ---------- picked up a muffler clamp that would fit the header , 1 3/4 is the size , hope to weld it up today

whilst ( for my UK buddies ) working on me bike , I heard a buzzing sound that was echoing , warps have built a nest in the snorkel tube , so I got the Raid and shot it in , 1/2 a dozen came out coughing and falling to the ground to meet my Merrel tennis shoe , but now I am wondering how big a nest they built in there , may have the air flow restricted , going to have to send in the camera and try to dislodge it , lucky I didn't get stung , been moving the snorkel all around

Took a break to come in for a spot of tea and a biscuit

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #919
The wasp nest was a big blockage and would have most likely affected the way it ran , glad they buzzed for me and I got it out --- finished the snorkel tube and got it painted -- finally got her off the I.V. bottle and sucking fluids on her own

wire the front lights , weld the exhaust and she will be ready to roll

Attachments

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Fish i used some old storm widow mesh/screen over my intake tube, we have very aggressive mud dobber s around here! That will cure the pest problem.

901 - 920 of 946 Posts