Honda ATV Forum banner

881 - 900 of 946 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
While I got Sock-Ra-Blue torn down , I really have wanted the 4x2 kickout for it , so might as well try to pull that off , this is a first gen bike and has a bit longer wheel base than 2nd gens so the 2nd gen 4x2 has to be made a bit longer as the 1st gen4x2 is no longer available new and pretty hard to find used , it can be made by a builder , I think I remember 1st gen is 2 1/2 inches longer , the only 1st gen front drive shaft I have is in the bike , I need to have both second gen and 1st gen shafts side by side so I can get a measurement ( unless someone knows it ) , I am going to get a 2nd gen 4x2 and try to modify it myself

I am playing around with the idea of taking a drive shaft and cutting yokes off both ends and making an adaptor to put on the end of the 4x2 and not disassembling the 4x2 and cutting and extending the shaft like it is done

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #882
You Made off like a bandit... Lol ... I wager those waders ... $45+- new, i yard sell-ed on these for a tad more, $15 (no leeks) i used these in that cave venture aka (Killer Spider)

$45 you think , I never priced them at the store ---I have a set of neoprene and they cost $149 , the wife got me a new set for Christmas and she found them on sale at Academy for $99 ---I can still kick myself in the butt for not going to Academy and buying that other set of 10s on clearance for $99 which the wife told me about

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Well... Ya , now that i. Think about it, probobly much more than $45 .... I'd say your closer to the correct price then i was... One thing i don't like ... Is riding with on, makes shifting/foot braking very interesting ....going frog gigging...... I reckon I'm a tad lazy when it comes to taking a pare of regular shoes with me, and changing out just before i hit the pond .

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
Previous owner had led flush mount pods and rag'gittyly mounted , the front grill was destroyed , thinking of tightening it all up with a plate of aluminum all the way across the light opening with the flush pods in it , then the grill ( painted black ) over the lights

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
Yesterday a friend was selling his Yamaha 400 , he had some 27" SwampLites on stock Yammy rims , the tires have some thread left , he was selling it to a guy that din't really want to pay anything more for the tires and rims , so I traded him even for a set of stock 25 Honda rims and tires that were crap , sweet for me , might go on a 300 2wd

Attachments

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Hair of the Dog
Got that right! ^^

I didn't down enough to get sick, just enough to over sweat all day!

We about walked the same path, i mowed (sweated) ran the big brush cutter for a couple hours! (sweated some more) after a cold shower and a cold one i feel better!!

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #889
Got a few things done on the Blue 300 re-rebuild , got the Rick's CDI in , it didn't fix the temp light not coming on when the ignition turned on , the bulb is new and tested good , the sub harness ( which Jeep sent me ) tested good ------- dug up an aluminum muffler that was on one of the 450 parts bikes , a little bit of welding and it can work , have no idea who made it , all I see is the US Forestry Spark Arrestor writing embossed into it , anyone recognize the muffler , used the 88 header pipe , with the big U in it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
With the storm in the Gulf and 8 inches of rain yesterday , I was only able to work 4 hours yesterday , so spent some time on the 300 , got the muffler rigged up to be welded and decided to crank it up and hear how it sounded before welding it , when I cranked up it had a fit , fit , fit sound coming from the engine , sounded like a spitting sound , checked the timing and did a compression test , adjusted the valves again and the sound was still there , took the head off and poured gas into the intake and then exhaust and found that one of the valves was not holding the gas , took the valves out and one had a slight bend to it and then it broke in my hand while rolling the stem on a flat table , good thing it didn't drop it into the engine when it was running , would have to guess that when the timing chain went out it hit the Wiseco piston as there is one tiny mark on top the piston

dug up a used 250 Fourtrax head and took the valves out of it , cleaned it all up and lapped the valves and installed new stem seals , it holds the gas test , got the head back on and torqued down and I ran out of gas

I was told that the ATC250ES head has one bigger valve than the 300 , I know from measuring yesterday that the 250 Fourtrax is the same

Jeep might like this Jeep , did a job for a guy by the camps on Lake Catherine and he had this Jeep for sale on the highway , says it has $20K worth of extras on it , it is a 2015 and he want $30K for it -----so he also has 2 Razors for sale that are tricked out to the max , I asked a "Any 4 wheelers " and he says I have one in the garage at home that was my kids and hasn't run in 5 years , my ears went up , I have been knowing him a while and he says you can have it as I want to clean out the garage , so I was all into it till I found that it is a 2006 350 ES , thought about flipping it , but had told myself if it is not a 450 ,300, 250ES or Fourtrax or 350D , I am not fooling with it ,if it wasn't an ES I might have jumped , so I called a friend who happens to know the guy and let him have the lead , he told me he called him and is suppose to go get it and might be riding it with me

Attachments

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
took the valves out and one had a slight bend to it and then it broke in my hand while rolling the stem on a flat table
Now..... That's ^^^^ some kind of luck!! Glad ya caught that before she dropped.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
With the storm in the Gulf and 8 inches of rain yesterday , I was only able to work 4 hours yesterday , so spent some time on the 300 , got the muffler rigged up to be welded and decided to crank it up and hear how it sounded before welding it , when I cranked up it had a fit , fit , fit sound coming from the engine , sounded like a spitting sound , checked the timing and did a compression test , adjusted the valves again and the sound was still there , took the head off and poured gas into the intake and then exhaust and found that one of the valves was not holding the gas , took the valves out and one had a slight bend to it and then it broke in my hand while rolling the stem on a flat table , good thing it didn't drop it into the engine when it was running , would have to guess that when the timing chain went out it hit the Wiseco piston as there is one tiny mark on top the piston

dug up a used 250 Fourtrax head and took the valves out of it , cleaned it all up and lapped the valves and installed new stem seals , it holds the gas test , got the head back on and torqued down and I ran out of gas

I was told that the ATC250ES head has one bigger valve than the 300 , I know from measuring yesterday that the 250 Fourtrax is the same

Jeep might like this Jeep , did a job for a guy by the camps on Lake Catherine and he had this Jeep for sale on the highway , says it has $20K worth of extras on it , it is a 2015 and he want $30K for it -----so he also has 2 Razors for sale that are tricked out to the max , I asked a "Any 4 wheelers " and he says I have one in the garage at home that was my kids and hasn't run in 5 years , my ears went up , I have been knowing him a while and he says you can have it as I want to clean out the garage , so I was all into it till I found that it is a 2006 350 ES , thought about flipping it , but had told myself if it is not a 450 ,300, 250ES or Fourtrax or 350D , I am not fooling with it ,if it wasn't an ES I might have jumped , so I called a friend who happens to know the guy and let him have the lead , he told me he called him and is suppose to go get it and might be riding it with me
Lucky on that valve!

As for the Jeep, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to them. I don't consider anything after AMC a Jeep. Those Rubicons are very capable off road, but they just don't have soul like a CJ. That 20K in extras? We call that the "Jeep tax". Guy buys a $10K jeep, adds 20K in extras, thinks he has a 30K Jeep. Nope, you have a $11K Jeep. Jeep tax. That holds true to just about any man toys if you think about it.

You should have grabbed that 350 Rancher. Easy to convert that ES to footshift because the 350 transmissions are exactly the same, and the 350's have a lot of bolt on creature comforts from other bikes that are cheap and easy bolt on's. Show your buddy the site and have him look at my 05 Rancher build and, more importantly, Retro's Creamsickle build.

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
Only took one pic , got it all back together and started up and she sounds real good , NO spit and NO tick ----she got another used , better condition 1st gen 250 cam crammed in her , an OEM NOS ATC250ES chain sprocket ( thanks to Retro ) , DID 250 chain , already had the Wiseco 10.5 piston , the head been dog house ported , OEM number correct carb ( thanks to Manny ) ----working on an aftermarket muffler ( which I don't even know what brand it is ) mounted to a 88 header pipe on this 92 engine , also installed the Rick's CDI this time around ----plan on fitting a fan , already has a oil cooler without a fan , which I have learned is like tits on a bull hog , worthless --- in fact I am heading off to O'Reilys to check out fans right now

working on front LED supports with a new grill , 4 LED pods , 2 in the front and 2 in the rear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
Picking away at SacRaBlue's re-re-refurb , fab'ed a mount for a 10 inch automotive cooling fan , I have the same fan on my 450 , it is quieter than the OEM Honda fan , blows more air , would bet it draws less amps , but can't confirm that , one day in the future I will relocate that fan to the rack and double stack it ---- onto lighting upgrades next

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
You got a great stash of aluminum for bracket fabbing hidden somewhere. :)
I am a hoarder ---------- I am on a lot of demolition jobs and always looking for scrap that can be used ------- always at the flea markets , sometimes I find things at the markets that are super cheap and made of nice aluminum and buy it for materials ---sometimes I will go to the scrap yard and the guy will let me look thru the piles and sell metal and aluminum by the pound , the metal supply companies want to sell you the whole length of what ever it is you want and it is expensive

talking about aluminum , I have a Craftsman dual counter rotating blade saw that is great for cutting aluminum , super smooth and fast , it recently broke , when Sears went under they had a clearance and I picked up 6 packs of the blades which were usually about $30 a set for $4 a set , so sure enough right after buying the blades the saw broke after having it 20 years, Sears doesn't have the parts I need to fix it and I can't find another one , bummer ------a circular saw with a carbide blade turned around backwards does a good job , but that saw I had also worked well like a grinder and much more controllable

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
Got a bit done on the lights mod , wish that saw were here today as it would make quick easy work to trim the bottom of the aluminum plate to match the fender line

The flush mount led lights are going to mount on the aluminum plate , which will be bolted with angle iron to the fender mount lift brackets ( there are steel plates right behind that plate that go down to the bumper bracket to raise the fender 1 1/2 up ) , on the top side the plate , I am the using the holes where the OEM light mounts were ----the front grill was tore up from the light poorly munted to the plastic , not worth the money they want for a blue front grill and color matching is that important to me , I am going to " ride it like I stole it " anyways , what ever that means

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #900
Thats a dandy looking saw! I gotta haves me one of 'em!
they were discontinued by Sears and Harbor Freight had one also , I would guess someone got hurt and sued , one thing I can say is it could be dangerous ------that saw is smooth , the counter rotating blades makes it not kick back , it will cut aluminum as well as steel up to 1/4 , I also use it like a grinder ----- many times after I burned it up I had wished I had it ----- there are 1/2 a dozen on e-bay , one looks almost brand new and comes with 3 brand new sets of blades for like $59 , the blades are worth that

881 - 900 of 946 Posts