Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 946 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
Hope your wife is okay Fish..

I was waiting for this post to pop up about new 300, glad it's the bike it appeared to be, seems it was a good choice to dive into the purchase.
How did you find the BBK? A worthy mod or not really worth the time and money if you had to start from scratch? How did you get on with the GR and keeping up with the other ride members?

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
BBK you must mean Big Block Kit ? I am new to this ! ---- the motor sounds and performs great , between the motor and gear reduction it is instant response , can't wait to get a 4x2 kit so I can rag it in 2wd , as far as speed goes , no troubles yet , I was able to stay with the pack , we had 11 bikes in the pack , I have in mind to take the GPS for a ride on the blue one and then on another 300 and see what top speed difference is , at 54% you would think it is half ----- paid $1,500 I was offered $2,000 last night and I would not even think about it for $2,500

the sun is almost up here , I just come in from hosing off the wife's bike , and man it is funked up bad , the worst damage ever around here , I think she needs 85% gear reduction so she only goes about 4 mph

I am going to get some pics , be right back

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
That's the one Big Bore Kit ;-) I'm looking forward to the arrival of my GR from Jeremy Lee, I'm hoping (as you said) that it makes a difference to power delivery by means of gearing. Maybe next year I'll go for a BIg Bore mod, possibly the same as you have in the blue 300, I want something that can be repaired and honed out rather than having to be replaced completely.

Do the 4x2 kick outs transform the ride of a 300 on hard pack? I've looked at these but there so expensive here, makes me wonder if I can ever justify spending the money on one.
As for the speed, I actually imagined that would have been the downside to the 54% GR, obviously I was wrong! Lol.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
this weekend we had a 350 Rancher 2006 I think , not the 350D 1986 era , I was looking at the CC mark on the jug and it was like 327 , now they call the 350 piston and sleeve in a 300 a 317 kit , so I wonder where the other 10 cc's went , maybe lost in the head ? I am not sure what 350 sleeve and piston they are using , 86-87 350 D or 2006 350 , maybe the difference is there or maybe in the stroke length

Sam , the 4x2 I think is the best mod to do for the 300 , it is so much more fun to ride as long as you can in 2 then switch to 4 , the only trouble I have had so far with the 4x2 is the control cable getting stiff , and they don't sell just the cable , it comes in a bearing and seal kit and is $120 , I have figured out the length for the 1st gen , I just have to get the 4x2 and my drive shaft and let the machine shop make them the same length

I rode the bike around the streets some yesterday , forgot about GPS'ing the top speed , but it is low , I use to seldom use 5th gear , wish I had 6 or 7 now , LOL

hope to stop by the ATV shop this evening and see how my 450 engine rebuild is coming along , and ask who built the 54% reduction , may be Jeremy Lee

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I noticed the 329CC stamp on a 350 Rancher cylinder I'm fixing to send out.

As I understand it, the 317 kit uses a 350 Rancher sleeve but requires a stacked gasket to raise the cylinder up a bit, so the CC loss is probably in the stroke length.

I bought a Warn 424 last week on FB. Guy said it was a little sticky and needed to be cleaned out. It was $170 by the time I added shipping and I jumped on it. It arrived as pictured.

I sent the seller a message and asked if he didn't think he should mention the fact that it's been cut up and then welded back together? He replied that I should have seen it in the pics. Problem is, his ad didn't have any pics. So he mentioned that it was sticky, but didn't mention that it was chopped up....

Gotta love doing business on the FB pages.

Needless to say I'll be sending it back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
looks like it was welded up for the 1st gen set up , and it looks like a Gorilla welded it , wonder if it is true , a kit to rebuild it with new bearings , seals , bolts , cable and lever cost $120 , so if you need a 1st gen 4x2 that would put you at $290 , which I see they sell a new 4x2 mod'ed for 1st gen for $550 , so it might be worth it , if it is true and the welds hold

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
looks like it was welded up for the 1st gen set up , and it looks like a Gorilla welded it , wonder if it is true , a kit to rebuild it with new bearings , seals , bolts , cable and lever cost $120 , so if you need a 1st gen 4x2 that would put you at $290 , which I see they sell a new 4x2 mod'ed for 1st gen for $550 , so it might be worth it , if it is true and the welds hold
Only problem is it fits a Gen 2....

I measured to make sure. If it were a Gen 1 I might have kept it and tried it but for a Gen 2 I'll just buy a new one rather than risk end up having $290 in a welded up POS. No idea if it's true or not, and who knows if the welds will hold. Not worth the risk unless it was 100% working or a WHOLE lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I could thing of a couple of reasons why he may have welded it , maybe the end had a ring seal cut into it and he replaced the end , or even though I have never seen one strip the splines yet but would guess it possible as I had the 4x2 slip back away from the front diff when I ran over a stump or something and it hit the u-bolt holding the stay strap and pulled the 4x2 back away from the front diff , it was barely engaging the front diff , when I would hit a bump it would slip , lucky it didn't damage the splines , I got a skid plate on that one now ---or maybe it was at one time modified to fit a 1st gen and he put it back to fit the later models

I am with you , send it back if you can

so since you were doing measurements , what is the difference , about 2 inches ???

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I could thing of a couple of reasons why he may have welded it , maybe the end had a ring seal cut into it and he replaced the end , or even though I have never seen one strip the splines yet but would guess it possible as I had the 4x2 slip back away from the front diff when I ran over a stump or something and it hit the u-bolt holding the stay strap and pulled the 4x2 back away from the front diff , it was barely engaging the front diff , when I would hit a bump it would slip , lucky it didn't damage the splines , I got a skid plate on that one now ---or maybe it was at one time modified to fit a 1st gen and he put it back to fit the later models

I am with you , send it back if you can

so since you were doing measurements , what is the difference , about 2 inches ???
I'm actually not sure, as the Gen 1 I have is still all together. I had a Gen 2 I picked up that already had the motor pulled, so I measured the front driveshaft from the Gen 2 and it was the same length as the 424 (and the seller said it was for a Gen 2 when I bought it, he just neglected to mention that it had been chopped up and then rewelded to Gen 2 length)

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I want to put a new muffler on the Blue One which is a 1992 cause it has a hole in it , Honda OEM is stupid like $600 for a 92 , which they list 1992 by it's self , the 1993-2000 is $725 , 1988-1991 no longer available , after market is $150 to $199 and they list 92-2000 will fit , what is different in 1992 ?

I was told to go with a 300EX muffler and pipe and weld my 300 exhaust flange ring to that pipe , any suggestion on a muffler /pipe set up

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Wow , I didn't notice your reply before posting my last post , we are getting the rain from the storm today so I am at home researching 1992 300's , I am learning about the 1st gen and the 1992

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
the 1992 is oddball, it has mounting brackets of a 88-91 but has the bend in the header of a 93-2000.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
sorry fish I cannot seem to find my old listing for the 92 muffler I sold, I do remember the difference in the 92 was it was odd because it had the 93-00 bend in the header and it bolted up differently by the kickstart.

anyways, the frames are the same from 88-92, so I would just order a first gen muffler and make it work.

caltric sells cheap OEM replacements for them on ebay.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Manny , you are so right , after doing research of parts to see what will and will not fit , the 92 has some 1st gen parts , some 2nd gen parts and some parts listed as 92 only

I have seen a caltric which is listed as 92 only , it is a slip on , the pipe and muffler on mine is a one piece , would think you could cut the pipe and make it work

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Rain out day so I played with the ATV's a bit , the air box snorkel job on this blue pipe was pitiful ( by my standards ) , so I yanked it out and dug up another box , went and got a new air filter and plan on resealing everything at the box with 3M 5200 marine sealer , also do a oil and filter change , oil looks super clean in the engine , but would feel safer know what is in there and when it was put in

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
My airbox looked similar before I fitted a snorkel! Always room for concern when you find muck in an airbox, makes me wonder if the muck got any further.
Must have been a surprise to find clean oil though lol

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
they did a really horrible job of siliconing it , I wound up cutting the whole snorkel out , and started doing it over differently , one spot on the flex hose was taped up with heat tape , I wondered what was under the tape , I pulled the tape off and there was a burn mark thru the pipe from the head , then they wrapped plastic tape over it and then the heat tape ------

I know it looks like mud , but that is silicone discolored

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I would just order a full exhaust for a 93-2000. I suppose you could get a slip on to work, may just need to go to an exhaust shop and have them flare you a reducer.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I hear you Manny , I like the idea of the full exhaust , it would be easier to remove the exhaust it were two pieces when you had to work on it , but it would be one less place to leak or have water get in as one piece and I can get a full exhaust for the price of a slip on

just got off the phone with SuperATV , they cut me a good deal , $200 and free ship for the disc conversion on the front , they say their kit will fit 92-99 300 4wd

41 - 60 of 946 Posts
About this Discussion
945 Replies
25 Participants
fishfiles
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing