Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 946 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Looks great fish! I like the white racks with blue plastic, nice touch, def makes her stand out

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Are you putting a 4x4 to 4x2 kick out ? Or did this 300 come with one ? I'd paint those stick stoppers white to! Should look real good!

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
jay , no 4x2 kick out on it now , I want one for sure and it is on top my major mods list , problem is this is a 1st gen 300 , modifications need to be done as the front drive shaft on the 1st gen is a different length than the later years , so it is not just plug and play , there is a guy locally that will build the set up for you using a new 4x2 and do the mod for $550 , I think I can get it all done for $300 by buying a 4x2 for $300 and having my buddies at the machine shop do the TIG welding , but we are on a big time budget after the purchase of the new blue one ----

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Oh okay, if you can get in done for 300 i think that's a good price IMO , and i agree, i wouldn't give my kick out up for almost anything, lol, I'll say this I'm enjoying your project, and I'm glad Sam pushed you, lol

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
jay , no 4x2 kick out on it now , I want one for sure and it is on top my major mods list , problem is this is a 1st gen 300 , modifications need to be done as the front drive shaft on the 1st gen is a different length than the later years , so it is not just plug and play , there is a guy locally that will build the set up for you using a new 4x2 and do the mod for $550 , I think I can get it all done for $300 by buying a 4x2 for $300 and having my buddies at the machine shop do the TIG welding , but we are on a big time budget after the purchase of the new blue one ----
That the Jean-Clay guy?

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Jeep , I ain't gonna lie , I don't know the name of the 4x2 builder , I got the price thru my buddy who has an ATV shop about 3 miles from me and he told me that was cost and he wasn't kicking it up any , he knows every body across the country into 4 wheelers and is heavy into extreme mods and racing , this weekend he is hosting dirt racing at The Park formerly called Muddy Joe's in Kiln , Miss --- he is a cool dude , karma is a funny thing , a long time ago I didn't know who he was , I had an add on Craig's List and him and wife came over to buy some parts and he seen I was into too , we talked for an hour and they were really cool people , I gave him a price before he came and when he got here I gave him the entire front end for the price we set for one spindle and hub , when the table turned and I found out who he was , when I needed something from him , he has given me great deals over the years , the Magenta 300 Project that I built for my wife was going to be his wife's bike , he is building my 450 engine for me right now , gave me what I think is a great deal , all OEM parts , new crank , bearings , piston , rings , bore , all seals in the case , new clutch frictions and put in the 300 clutch basket to make it 14% reduction , with labor for $1,150 , traded him a set of gauges and a torch and it is $1,000 even , it was $700 just in parts and the local machine shop , it would have taken me a month to do it ---- I can hook you up with him if you want !

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This weekend 8/25/2017 -- 8/27/2017 is going to be the first weekend of dirt drags at The Park ( formerly called Muddy Joe's ) in Kiln , Mississippi , they have a brand new track , 300 ft and 500 ft shut down , they is going to be mud bogs , bands , food catering , and it goes on all weekend the have camping , should be a lot of fun , they done a lot of improvements to the place

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Jeep , I ain't gonna lie , I don't know the name of the 4x2 builder , I got the price thru my buddy who has an ATV shop about 3 miles from me and he told me that was cost and he wasn't kicking it up any , he knows every body across the country into 4 wheelers and is heavy into extreme mods and racing , this weekend he is hosting dirt racing at The Park formerly called Muddy Joe's in Kiln , Miss --- he is a cool dude , karma is a funny thing , a long time ago I didn't know who he was , I had an add on Craig's List and him and wife came over to buy some parts and he seen I was into too , we talked for an hour and they were really cool people , I gave him a price before he came and when he got here I gave him the entire front end for the price we set for one spindle and hub , when the table turned and I found out who he was , when I needed something from him , he has given me great deals over the years , the Magenta 300 Project that I built for my wife was going to be his wife's bike , he is building my 450 engine for me right now , gave me what I think is a great deal , all OEM parts , new crank , bearings , piston , rings , bore , all seals in the case , new clutch frictions and put in the 300 clutch basket to make it 14% reduction , with labor for $1,150 , traded him a set of gauges and a torch and it is $1,000 even , it was $700 just in parts and the local machine shop , it would have taken me a month to do it ---- I can hook you up with him if you want !
Pm me his name please.

Sounds like yall have a good working relationship, and those take time to build. I don't know him so wouldn't expect him to give me the same treatment he gives you, and that's as it should be.

That said, I've been dealing here and there with a few guys down your way, so chances are I may have already dealt with him. I'm curious as to know who he is though, so if you don't mind PM me his info.

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
This weekend 8/25/2017 -- 8/27/2017 is going to be the first weekend of dirt drags at The Park ( formerly called Muddy Joe's ) in Kiln , Mississippi , they have a brand new track , 300 ft and 500 ft shut down , they is going to be mud bogs , bands , food catering , and it goes on all weekend the have camping , should be a lot of fun , they done a lot of improvements to the place
I was born in the wrong country!!

One day, one day I'll get to one of these events over the pond.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sam , you should see the bikes that are going to be there for the dirt races , I am not going this weekend , but I have seen a few already as I know a few of the dirt racers that are going , they have Banshees , 250R's and 150 hp out board motor engines modified to fit into the ATV , blown out , stretched out , some running nitrous , wheelie bars , I hear there is going to be a Can-Am that can break 100mph in the 300 ft run , I don't know about that ---- kind of ironic the band playing tonight is ready good and called Category 6 kinda like the Catogory 3 to 4 that is going ashore in Texas right now , 125mph winds is a high 3 , 131mph makes it a Cat4 ----------- I'll try to get some pics from my boy

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
started rigging her up for the hurricane party ride tomorrow , got to have sound , took the box radio off the front rack and put my portable tube on back , put a battery tender plug to the battery which is also my power plug for the tube , put some hooks on the back and front rack for holding the tube or a ice chest to the rack , I use the $.99 floaty tubes for cushion and anti slide and then a ratchet strap to hold it down , sound system finished and jamming , the bike was missing the battery cover , I had a red one so hit it with some liquid sand paper and painted it flat black , the key switch was messed up and I had another so swopped it ,

so I took a quick ride and it just didn't feel right , like the clutch was slipping at wide open throttle , adjusted it a couple of times and no change , so I pulled the side cover and found the innermost clutch disc was bent , P.O didn't align the disc and pinched it , lucky I have spare parts , pulled a clutch out a spare and swopped it , put it back together and she is screaming with the 54% reduction -------------- had the bike one day and already had the side cover off , that ain't good , I wonder how long the PO rode the bike like that , I rode it and never noticed it till I ragged it , one good thing is I got to see the reduction gear and who ever welded it is pretty good , wish I would have snapped a pic but was working fast and dirty hands

hope to get the stick stoppers painted and mount , and a snorkel hold down done before 12:00

I know one thing I need some brakes , think I am going front disc brakes before 4x2

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
SamUK I was born in the wrong country!! One day said:
why don't you start something up over there , an organized event , mud races thru bogs , bands , food , you could be the M.C. and maybe the D.J too ! I don't know how it works over there but here you have to sign a release form saying you are riding at your own risk

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
did some research and found the engine and frame numbers are both 1992 , and the blue color of the plastic and tank is called Southern blue ( ironic ) and was used from 1990 to 1994

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
SamUK I was born in the wrong country!! One day said:
why don't you start something up over there , an organized event , mud races thru bogs , bands , food , you could be the M.C. and maybe the D.J too ! I don't know how it works over there but here you have to sign a release form saying you are riding at your own risk
We have to have event in insurance here Fish, costs a fortune unfortunately that's what there's not so many places over here for off road events. People won't travel either, 90% of the UK citizens consider 150 miles a long way to go so only local ish people would come. To make an event on a big scale annually would be a great idea but again would cost tens or thousands to set up and if I'm honest I don't think it would pay for itself.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Wow , I am really impressed with the performance of the Blue One , it is by far the best running 300 I have had , the engine runs great , the gear reduction is wicket , the paddles give you an extra edge ------ now just got to finish building it up

waiting for the sun to come up to evaluate the wife's magenta bike , she really did a number on it last night , it is a wonder she isn't hurt as the bike is in very bad shape , she flipped it over and hit a tree

Attachments

21 - 40 of 946 Posts
About this Discussion
945 Replies
25 Participants
fishfiles
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing