Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help a buddy fix a 2007 Rincon TRX680 that blows the 30 amp main 1 fuse everytime you turn the key on. We can't find any obvious shorts. Have found a 3x3 box above right rear axle that is seeping fluid and has a burnt smell. Would like to hear some suggestions. thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
tha sounds like the CDI or module. you might try bypassing your key switch. I think they still are a 2 wire switch, just unplug it and plug the wires from the harness into themselves replace the fuse first and give that a try if it starts and dosen't blow the fuse...replace the switch. If it still blows the fuse then that box has shorted out inside and I'm going to say that is what the problem is anyway.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Can you I.D the box?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Saber6, I'm pretty sure it's #5 on that schematic you posted. Have found out it is the regulator/rectifier. Disconnected wires on box, put in new fuse and it started. All elec. equip seems to be working. Does anyone know what purpose this box serves. Is it OK to operate machine without it? thanks

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
No you will need to get a new one.The regulator is a resistor that only allows a pre-specified amount of voltage to go to the battery. The excess voltage is sent to ground (-) so as not to over-charge the battery. You will do more damage if not replaced.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
X2 I agree

No you will need to get a new one.The regulator is a resistor that only allows a pre-specified amount of voltage to go to the battery. The excess voltage is sent to ground (-) so as not to over-charge the battery. You will do more damage if not replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts