Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 1996 Honda 300 FourTrax I just put new valves in it and set the timing and everything I put it on top dead center on the t on the compression stroke I line the marks up on the cam gear flush with the head but for some reason while cranking it I'm getting air blowing out of the carburetor instead of sucking in if anybody has any suggestions please let me know

Premium Member
Do you have an intake valve hanging open? Or maybe cam 180 out? Can you watch the valves cycle open?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have an intake valve hanging open? Or maybe cam 180 out? Can you watch the valves cycle open?
Yes you can se the valve open and the cam is not 180 out and it is not hanging open I did a leak down test on it and there is no blow by on the valves

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
And another thing I found out is that when you use the electric start the motor spins counterclockwise but when you Kickstart it it spins clockwise now when you use the starter air blows out of the carburetor but when you use the kickstart air subs into the carburetor with very little blowback

Premium Member
The starter shouldn鈥檛 be able to turn the engine backwards but maybe that鈥檚 a separate problem
Can you get it stsrted with just the kick start? Remember the compression release lever has to be manually set for each kick

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The star turns the engine counterclockwise which is the only way that can turn because of the one-way clutch and if you Kickstart it it goes clockwise and no I have not gotten it to start with the kickstart

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
My question is is if the kickstart turns a clockwise and I have air sucking into the carburetor then why is it that when the starter engages and turns the motor counterclockwise which is the way it should be spinning it blows out instead of sucking into the carburetor
I just don't understand why one is turning it one way and the other is turning it the other way when I haven't even messed with any of it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts