Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going riding there in a few weeks, I see we need to purchase a trail permit. I know I can get them on-line, but it is about $11.00 more for 6 bikes.(each)
Anyone have any experience picking them up on the way out there?
Will be heading in on I-90 from the East. Staying near Lead/Deadwood.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Yup. I get mine at the Forest Service office south of Rapid City on SD 16. There's usually one or two people in line but no biggie. You are heading up to Mystic Hills perhaps? There are some great trails here not always well marked. I downloaded all the trail maps into my cell phone so i can stay somewHat oriented

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Black Hills National Forest - Maps & Publications

Link to motor vehicle use maps you will want northern hills ranger district
Sweet! Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with the Hills, but I know the cabin is close to Lead.
Hoping we do not have to travel too far to get on trails. Guessing it will be a scouting trip, hopefully learn a little for next time.

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Trail permit is $25; $30 permit includes access to day use areas too. We are staying at Mystic Hills Resort on Custer Peak road. Dozens of atv/utvs here and rentals too. We rode up to Custer Peak today. Trails dry and dusty, but all in great shape.
Beautiful day! Eating late lunch and hitting the trails down to Roubaix Lake!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trail permit is $25; $30 permit includes access to day use areas too. We are staying at Mystic Hills Resort on Custer Peak road. Dozens of atv/utvs here and rentals too. We rode up to Custer Peak today. Trails dry and dusty, but all in great shape.
Beautiful day! Eating late lunch and hitting the trails down to Roubaix Lake!
Heading out this Friday, did order the trail permits on-line. Only did the 7 day pass because we will not make it out again this year. Did not realize there were options for "day use Areas" Can you tell me about them?

We are staying on Strawberry hill I believe.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Going riding there in a few weeks, I see we need to purchase a trail permit. I know I can get them on-line, but it is about $11.00 more for 6 bikes.(each)
Anyone have any experience picking them up on the way out there?
Will be heading in on I-90 from the East. Staying near Lead/Deadwood.

Thanks
Get current trail and permit information at Black Hills ATV Destinations ? Visit our Black Hills hidden treasures. (ATV Trails, UTV Trails, Caves, Old Buildings, Ghost Towns).

Permits ($28.50)can be purchased at these locations:

Black Hills National Forest Offices:
• Northern Hills Ranger District - Spearfish, SD
• Mystic Ranger District - Rapid City, SD
• Supervisor's Office - Custer, SD
• Pactola Visitor Center - Memorial Day to Labor Day
• Hell Canyon Ranger District - Newcastle, WY
• Bearlodge Ranger District - Sundance, WY

Other Black Hills Area Locations:
• Hill City Area Chamber of Commerce - Hwy 16, Hill City, S

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
I put close to 70 miles on the Chili Pepper this weekend. Trails were great and not terribly muddy--ran up the trail to the peak--the fire lookout tower shown here.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts