Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 SRS 420 rancher with 30x11x14 zilla's and they don't rub at all. I do have a 2 inch lift. I bought them because I heard they ran small, but they measure closer to 31 inchers. Suprisingly I didn't lose a whole lot of tourque either. It turns the tires pretty well, but I'm still going to get a gear reduction in the near future

·
Registered
32 Posts
2015 Rancher 420

I just joined and am not sure how to make my own post, so I will ask my question here. I have a 2015 Rancher 420 4x4 and I need to know what the largest tire size I can fit is before I go out and spend $1,000+ on tires and wheels. ALSO, I would appreciate it if someone would explain to me how to post my own questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I just joined and am not sure how to make my own post, so I will ask my question here. I have a 2015 Rancher 420 4x4 and I need to know what the largest tire size I can fit is before I go out and spend $1,000+ on tires and wheels. ALSO, I would appreciate it if someone would explain to me how to post my own questions. Thanks!
welcome to the site, to start your own tread, just go to the forums page, find the place you want to place it(based on subject matter)
and then in the top left , about posts in BLACK< there will be a BOX that says NEW TrEAD, click that and then title your tread and below post your question or?? what ever!

as for teh largest tire you can FIT, it coms down to a few things, is it stock or lifted, or do you plan to lift it< mod it to make ttires fit??

and then to me the more important thing is, will you be happy with the power the atv has afterwards
some folks on 500's/ranchers get to about 27's and feel a gear reduction s must have to get back all the power loss from the larger tires chaning the gearing, some say theu can live with the loss
after you get past 27's you lost a bunch of power, wether folks wanat to admit it or not, its gearing folks, NO way to change gearing and NOT effect power, , again it comes down to IF yoyu can live with the power that left after adding larger tires
then, the larger tires change handling, and can add to wear and tear on drive train and other parts
so going taller tires comes with a bigger price tag than just the costs of the tires
JUST saying above incase you didn 't know these things, as I don't know what you know or don't LOL

I would think on a stock rancher, you should eb able to get 27's to fit, maybe a little rubbing in full turns with suspension compressed, going bigger I think you should have a lift, and or trim some plastic!

·
Registered
32 Posts
welcome to the site, to start your own tread, just go to the forums page, find the place you want to place it(based on subject matter)
and then in the top left , about posts in BLACK< there will be a BOX that says NEW TrEAD, click that and then title your tread and below post your question or?? what ever!

as for teh largest tire you can FIT, it coms down to a few things, is it stock or lifted, or do you plan to lift it< mod it to make ttires fit??

and then to me the more important thing is, will you be happy with the power the atv has afterwards
some folks on 500's/ranchers get to about 27's and feel a gear reduction s must have to get back all the power loss from the larger tires chaning the gearing, some say theu can live with the loss
after you get past 27's you lost a bunch of power, wether folks wanat to admit it or not, its gearing folks, NO way to change gearing and NOT effect power, , again it comes down to IF yoyu can live with the power that left after adding larger tires
then, the larger tires change handling, and can add to wear and tear on drive train and other parts
so going taller tires comes with a bigger price tag than just the costs of the tires
JUST saying above incase you didn 't know these things, as I don't know what you know or don't LOL

I would think on a stock rancher, you should eb able to get 27's to fit, maybe a little rubbing in full turns with suspension compressed, going bigger I think you should have a lift, and or trim some plastic!
I plan on getting 27's and with the regular foot shift and the lockable front diff I think it should pull them fine, and I am planning on lifting it. What is the deal I keep hearing that some will fit IF you are using the stock wheels but they won't fit if you have aftermarket? And thanks for helping me! I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
[
I plan on getting 27's and with the regular foot shift and the lockable front diff I think it should pull them fine, and I am planning on lifting it. What is the deal I keep hearing that some will fit IF you are using the stock wheels but they won't fit if you have aftermarket? And thanks for helping me! I greatly appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

having a diff ock, means NOTHING on power loss, IF anything, it will make power loss more, as it will be sendingw hat ever power there si to both axles not just one
changing ties size changes gearing
gearing has nothing to do with having a locked diff or an open on(well as far as there all gears YES, but?? not with power loss really or gains)

your gears are in a ratio, , taller tires lowers the gfear ratio, meaning takes mroe power to turn them
lower gears take less power to turn them, (basic info here)
when you go up 2 inches in tires size(say stocks are 25's) your changing the gearing of the atv
which then takes away power the ATV HAD!
aas for some saying some tires of 27 fit and some doen't
that can be severalreasons, ONE< being NOT all tire size are true to what they say on teh side wall, meaning a 27-10-12 tire from one company may actually be 26 inches tall and 9.5 inches wide, andf some other tire comopany 's trie of same numbers, might really be 27.5 inches tall, 10.5 inches wide and the likes
Not all companys tires measure true to size or are the same from ne company to another?? there is differences in brands , many a very noticable difference, some closer
and then there is wheel off set and size of wheel itself, some wheels are 7 inches wide, some can be 7.5 inches or 8 inches and so on, and then off set can be wider or narrower again depending pn brand and actual size the tires were installed on
OME wheels can be "X" size and an Aftermarket can be a whole different size
thus, some may rub, some may not!
then there are shocks, LOL
some worn out shocks might allow the atv to ride lower, giving less clearance, some might ride higher?? variable's are out there LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know about gear ratios and loosing power and all that fun. I've seen stock ranchers pull BIG tires and pull them good! I just don't want to fork over a large amount of money and then they not fit or rub. And I will NOT be cutting the plastics in my brand new fourwheeler. Anyone feel free to chime in! Lol. And I understand what you mean by using the diff lock will make you loose even more power, I just want the diff lock because I'm tired of getting stuck because one of my tires won't turn and that tire is usually the difference between me being stuck and me being out.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
a diff loc can be a HUGE difference on NOT getting stuck
had many in my off road trucks, and its a lot more traction than folks that never used one can understand
BUT that said, many times it just gets you father /deeper into a hole , making getting out harder LOL
been there done that with far too many trucks over the yrs
I have to think an ATV is a LOT easier to get out, due to just being lighter and smaller
but some times the ability to go father doesn't always get you thru it all, just stuck farther away LOL

hoe much effect /power loss, I guess comes down to what your trying to really do
I went 1 inch taller and felt the power loss, hooked up to the same trailer the same load on it and couldn't move it in same gear and all I went was one inch taller
so, to me, I just cannot see how going 3-4 inches or more, doesn't have a LOT of powr loss??
I went 3 inches taller in my truck with 400 HP and felt the loss, never mind ona 30 hp or so atv??
but that me
we all like what we like and what we will live with I guess
again, I say 27's are all that will fit without mods!, and even some of them MIGHT rub in some places under suspenions or and full turns!
just my 2 cents LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys.i was thinking of getting 30 in moto monsters for my 07 420sra.Anyone tried 30's on a rancher? I was wondering if i would have to do alot of trimming or not. If so would a lift cause me to do less trimming? Thx in advance.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Hey guys, Ive got an 07 rancher 420 4x4 and was wondering how big a tire I can fit on my stock rims without lifting it. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a 07 rancher 420 es . Stock motor and gearing . I RUN 25x10x12s itp wheels and tire combo the new version of the mud lites and a basic black wheel. running this tire I can go almost anywhere and I don’t loose top end . My bike still runs 52 mph in 5th gear on grass . Granted in real sticky mud I basically have to stay in 1st maybe 2 nd but the ol Honda gets the job done . I also have a rad relocation and warrior snorkel kit and 2 inch HL lift kit . I love
Honda to death would never ever ever consider another brand atv or utv . U can sink em pull the plugs clean everything out and still go riding in less than 15 mins , u just can’t kill a Honda one thing I will say is running itps because they’re so light there also not 100% tough as other tires out there . But I like em a lot

·
Registered
8 Posts
This site doesn't seem to get as much traffic these days.. Hope someone can answer this question for me. :)
I have an 02 Rancher ES 2wd, owned it since new. She has 9500 miles or so on the clock, but still runs well. It is now just a farm bitch. All it does is pull a driveway harrow (couple tractor chains bolted together). I'm on my second set of OE skins, and they are completely toast.
My Pioneer 1000 has 27" MotoHammers on it. I really want to go to Terrabites on the Pioneer. A set of 14" Delta steel wheels are cheaper than a new set of tires (for the Rancher). It looks like the general consensus is that 27" will work on a stock machine. These are 9" fronts, and 11" rears, and don't measure a full 27" ... more like 26" tops.
I parked the old girl next to the Pioneer this morning, and the Motohammers look a LOT bigger than whats left of my OE's (marked 25")

I really don't wanna spend the dough on new 14" wheels if they're going to rub..

Has anyone put tires like these on an older Rancher?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good thread.. thinking seriously about snagging some Delta 14” wheels so I can put the 27” MotoHammers from my 18 Pioneer 1k on my old 02 350 ES. They are 9” front & 11” rears. It LOOKS like they’d fit..
That way I can get newer skins on the rancher & go to Terrabites or BFG’s on the Pioneer..

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
84 Posts
They'll fit but it will be really gutless. Those ranchers don't deal with bigger tires well at all.
I put 25x12's on my 01 rancher and they sucked all the power out of it, I needed to use first in spots I was using second before, it was quite a bit slower on the road etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They'll fit but it will be really gutless. Those ranchers don't deal with bigger tires well at all.
I put 25x12's on my 01 rancher and they sucked all the power out of it, I needed to use first in spots I was using second before, it was quite a bit slower on the road etc.
Holy crap man... I must be gettin old. Just noticed I asked the same dang question a month ago.. jeez.

my 02 has had 25” since new. I realize the 27’s will suck some power, I just wonder how much. About all I use it for these days is to drag my harrow around the pasture & the driveway. Dunno.. maybe I’ll just get another set of 25’s.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts