Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

1st post, and Im hoping that this hasnt been covered a million times..

Bike is remote - no internet or phone with limited tools etc.

I have a 300cc Big Red quad, believe its 1990 model.

Never had any issues until I went to start on weekend.

Battery has been very flakey, so Charged it overnight and went to start. Kicks over strong using button ignition, but wont fire.

Ive bought a new battery and spark plug today but wont be able to check if this will fix until im back out to the bike.

Can you legends give any tips on what I should look for?

I tried looking for spark, the motor is alloy and Ive only just read a trick on screwdiver in plug lead and then held to inserted plug to test. I will try this.

Thought it might not be getting any fuel...

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
My guess is bad CDI. Try tapping on it while you are cranking it.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Take the spark plug out and plug the wire back into the plug and lay it on the head. You should see spark jumping the spark plug gap while cranking with the key on. Take a new NGK spark plug with you to test with. If you have good consistent spark with a new NGK its likely a fuel/carb issue.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
bring a can of starting fluid with you , spray a very minimal amount into the throat of the carb ( 1 second ) , if it pops then the carb /petcock /tank is fouled , if not then ( maybe ) check the kill button on the left side handle bar

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
If you have a spark try putting your hand over the back of the carb as you turn it over, this may suck out any crud that is stuck in your carb. It doesn't always work but if it does it gives you a good indication as to where the issue lies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

So I put in a new battery and spark plug and tried to kick over. still no joy.

Tested spark - no spark - bugger!
tested method of testing spark on dads quad - spark - so i know my method of checking works.

Decide im going to take plastics off, give it a dust off and took some pictures.
hit button, and bingo, starts!
have a ride all good.
Next morning - wont start.

Will now look at replacing CDI unless you have another ide.

can you please let me know if the box I have marked as CDI is infact the CDI?
Thanks,
Phil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Yeah, try tapping on that CDI while cranking it over and see if it starts up. If so, its either a bad connection at the harness plug or a bad CDI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts