Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 ES SRA. I Also have 12'' ITP SS312 wheels to go with the new tires. I Can't decide on what size tire to run, and I'm looking at ITP Mud Lite XL tires and Maxxis zillas. I see a lot of pictures of dealers selling 14-17 SRA ranchers with 26'' ITP Mud Lite XL 26x12-12 Rear and 26x10-12 fronts, and I really like the way they look, but are they to wide and large for my machine to utilize them? I do run black top on occasion to go threw town, but most of my riding is done in the woods, and we do encounter some knarly mud/water holes and various rock, gravel, dirt, hardpack terrains that can be found in Northern Wisconsin any help will be much appreciated.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have been looking at the Reptiles more and more. What size would you suggest for my machine? I've always ran sport quads, and this is new territory for me. I was thinking of running a 26'' Reptile tire 26x11-12 Rear and 26x9-12 on the front. Does this seam reasonable for a ES Rancher 4x4 420?

· Registered
8 Posts
If looks is important to you then 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 would look good, but I wouldn't do it. I put 25x8x12 on the front and 25x10x12 on the rear (after I bought 12" Foreman steel wheels to replace the 11 inchers). The 25's are a tad bigger than the 24's were but not too big. I've gone too big before and regretted it.

I considered the Black Diamonds, the price is right and they are radial. The Kenda Bearclaw HTR's are a great inexpensive tire that are radial also. I think the prices on those two run about the same.

Good luck.

· Premium Member
378 Posts
If looks is important to you then 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 would look good, but I wouldn't do it. I put 25x8x12 on the front and 25x10x12 on the rear (after I bought 12" Foreman steel wheels to replace the 11 inchers). The 25's are a tad bigger than the 24's were but not too big. I've gone too big before and regretted it.

I considered the Black Diamonds, the price is right and they are radial. The Kenda Bearclaw HTR's are a great inexpensive tire that are radial also. I think the prices on those two run about the same.

Good luck.

I agree 100%

Those are the sizes I run in 25"

I had 26" but wasn't happy with the power loss...

You won't be disappointed with the reptiles...

· Registered
274 Posts
I went with the 25 bearclaws because they were on sale. I was more worried about the weight of some of these tires than the actual height. Just use mine for deer season. Some of those tires are quite heavy and even more so when increasing size.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing that Rusty that makes it much easier to compare and contrast. I think the verdict is in for me. I'm going to go with the Maxxis Zillas in 26x11-12 rear 26x9-12 rear. I've seen a few posts about them and people seem to be very pleased with the performance of the tires on similar machines like mine. Thanks a bunch for everyone who chimed in on this post. I appreciate it. Happy Trails guys!

· Registered
17 Posts
If you size up to a 12" wheel in rear you can still keep the front tire at same size? I assumed that the inch difference from back to front was for a reason but if it doesn't make a difference that's great. I am getting new Rear tires and wheels for 07 Rancher 4x4 ES that currently has 24x10x11 rears and front 24x8x12. Getting new wheels so I have spares (one is blown out) Should I stick with original 11" wheel size or bump to 12" for future versatility better tire options? Going to get on Rocky Mountain atv unless y'all have a better suggestion. Tires at good price, mounting and shipping are free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.