Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my work we occasionally need a generator. We have a small one that we can load on a trailer but it’s cumbersome and takes two to lift it. We have been using a harbor freight cheapo that recently died. Been thinking about a Honda portable generator that one man can carry. Was wondering what y’all think are the Honda’s worth it or what about another brand, generac, Yamaha,etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
Yep, Honda without a doubt are the best, we don’t have Yamaha generators here, not that I’ve seen anyway. Had a Kawasaki at a place I worked at some years back and it was forever in need of repair.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I've had great luck with my WEN generator. It's a Yamaha clone,its stupid quiet for camping and emergencies. Plus it was only 1/3 the cost of a honda/Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I agree with Honda. Buy once, cry once.

I have a late 70's Honda ES3500 that still works great, and a 6500 that's probably from the early 90's (purchased after ice storm '94) that still works great.

I wouldn't buy Generac. They are a big name in generators, but they're no Honda.

Every year when we expect ice or snow all the old people have me come around and get their generators out for them and get them running.

The Hondas always crank right up. The rest don't, even when drained of gas before put into storage. They always need tinkering.

I haven't seen a Yamaha generator, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a Yamaha. They just make good stuff, just like Honda.

The WEN got some good traffic/ reviews on another board I'm on, actually being compared to the Harbor Fright Predator unit, but you say your HF unit just crapped the bed. Was it a small inverter unit or a bigger generator, and what croaked on it?

LOTS of discussion on generators in this 30 page thread. I've had it bookmarked.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Harbor-Freight-Inverter-Generators-NOW-OFFICIAL-BUDGET-GENERATOR-THREAD/5-2032324/?page=1

While most HF stuff is junk, some of their stuff works. I have a 20 ton press, a floor jack, jack stands, and impact sockets that have been great with lots of use. I put a predator engine on a buddy's tiller (Honda clone) and it's be flawless for about 5 years.

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
A lot of commercial fishing boats have Yamaha generators around here , they mount them on the roofs of the cabins , in the salt water environment all the time and they keep on going

The Hondas are quiet

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our generator is a small “storm cat” from harbor freight. It’s the second one we’ve had and for 100 bucks it’s hard to beat. It’s paid for itself a few times over but you always have to use starting fluid, pull on it multiple times, and let it run on choke to keep it going! It just quit running one day and won’t crank. It has fuel at carburetor and new plug is firing every pull but it will not crank. I was just looking for something more reliable and seen the ad for Honda’s dream garage and thought it might be a good time to buy. Thanks all for your input.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
I agree with Honda. Buy once, cry once.

I have a late 70's Honda ES3500 that still works great, and a 6500 that's probably from the early 90's (purchased after ice storm '94) that still works great.
i remember 94, snow storm, in louisville. there were places that snow went above my 29" inseam, an i had boots on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’ve been through a few Honda’s through the years. My early model 1000i died (after 10yrs) due to lead poisoning (aviation fuel). The big fuel tank 2500 has been going for 20 years. The 2000i is three years old and running perfectly. My next will be a 2200i companion. All Honda’s. I think Yamaha’s are comparable to Honda, not as easy to find up here though.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
i remember 94, snow storm, in louisville. there were places that snow went above my 29" inseam, an i had boots on.
^^^^ *do what? whats he thinking. musta posted in the wrong thread again.. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
yep...as I got older, I wanted a smaller genset that I could lift in and out of the truck bed, etc...the Honda Eu2000 fits the bill...hard working little rig.. I think mine is about 12 yrs old now...can take a good 8 pulls sometimes to get the gas flowing (always use non-ethanol) but it has helped through a few power outages and made many many camping trips..not enough to power the air conditioner on the camper, but does everything else I need...orginally I bought it to also power remote audio system needs...we get those occassional party/weddings on the beach etc where there isn't any AC...and the 2000 inverter safely gives me the juice I need. I've used 3500 and 7500s to run entire live band stages where the 3500 was assigned to the band gear..guitar amps, keyboards, etc..and the 7500 was for my PA rig..solid , quiet, reliable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts