Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 rancher es 350, needs a new battery. been on ehay but if you guys can recommend a good battery for my atv. don't want to spend a ton of money. darn electric shift is part of the problem keeps getting stuck between gears. wonder if the batt is to weak to shift back. get a new batt and a trickle charger. rich

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
lots of good battery's out there today
better to buy a better name brand and pay a little more and KNOW your getting a good product
going cheaper at UP front costs can lead to shorter life span, and then you didn;t save any $$ at all

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
have you even tested the battery when it's running to see if it's charging ???.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, I bought it new in oct. warm weather and my first four wheeler. looking back I think manual shift would have been better. being in wi the weather has changed and battery is weak. output of alternator I havnt checked. what name brand am I looking for? still doing more research on that es on my 350. was this a real poor idea or what? looked at some coversions to manual, are they reliable? rich

·
Registered
8,309 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
where's kent ?..we need his expert advice on how great es models are !..lmfao. yeah OP, manual shifts, keep it simple, less to worry about going wrong. Honda may or may not sell more es models ( this was never proven by kent for the record !..lol ), but from where I sit ?, Honda has more trouble from es models than manual shifts !!, hmmm..explain that !..lol.

Reactions: Jeepwm69

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
where's kent ?..we need his expert advice on how great es models are !..lmfao. yeah OP, manual shifts, keep it simple, less to worry about going wrong. Honda may or may not sell more es models ( this was never proven by kent for the record !..lol ), but from where I sit ?, Honda has more trouble from es models than manual shifts !!, hmmm..explain that !..lol.
HAHA< well Kent might LOVE his E shifts, and defend them
but at least he gave a good sticky on how ot TRY and fix them too
so I give him some credit for that !

I think the more electrical carp on anything, the more likely it is to have issue's PERIOD
all the more so when you ride/use that "what ever" in off road, mud dust water snow freezing temps HIGH heat and so on

just asking for failures
and I think EVERY OEM knows this and actually COUNT on it failing AFTER there warranty goes away and then, it makes you either spend money on parts, repairs, or get frustrated and BUY a whole new machine

as anything that lasts, doesn't make them any money
we live in a highly disposable world today where everyone , just accept things NOT lasting so long or failures and BUY more rather than expect better from makers!

Mind sets have seriously changed over the yrs
Old farmers held onto things for generations, decades and then some, and expected the thing they spent there money on to LAST

generations today, think everything NEEDS to be replaced as soon as the next model comes out with a new gadget gizzmo on it??

just look at phones, folks upgrade OH so often

I have older friends that sill have rotary finger dial home phones from the 70's that still work and there HAPPY with them?/ HAHA!

different mind set for sure in generations now< and the OEM"s cater to there willingness to BUY more all the time and finance away there lives!

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
You can swap a 350 Rancher to footshift fairly easily. On some of the machines the transmission gears are different, but on the 350's everything is the same. Pop rear cover off, install a footshift spindle, put rear cover back on. Put a shift lever on the spindle, and remove the gears under the shift motor on the front cover.

Bam. Footshift.

I would get a Yuasa battery. Fairly cheap on Amazon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A word for trickle chargers

I read somewhere that using a trickle charger could double the life of a battery, and so I ran out and bought one that automatically shuts off when the battery is fully charged. What a great investment! I use it frequently on several pieces of equipment, and it's a pleasure to have my ATV, garden tractor, etc., jump to life when I turn the key. Plus I haven't replaced a battery in a couple of of years. Even in the dead of winter my ATV never has a slow turn-over. I use the trickle charger on my batteries about once every 4-6 weeks, and it seems to keep them at peak performance with very little effort on my part. Of course you can leave the trickle charger hooked up all the time the equipment isn't being used if it's convenient. I even put the charger on my car and truck once in awhile just to keep insure they're top notch too.

You might try the charger on your old battery to coach some extra life out of it. I was about to buy a new battery on my ATV when I started using the trickle charger, and the old battery is still doing a good job.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
HAHA< well Kent might LOVE his E shifts, and defend them
but at least he gave a good sticky on how ot TRY and fix them too
so I give him some credit for that !

I think the more electrical carp on anything, the more likely it is to have issue's PERIOD
all the more so when you ride/use that "what ever" in off road, mud dust water snow freezing temps HIGH heat and so on

just asking for failures
and I think EVERY OEM knows this and actually COUNT on it failing AFTER there warranty goes away and then, it makes you either spend money on parts, repairs, or get frustrated and BUY a whole new machine

as anything that lasts, doesn't make them any money
we live in a highly disposable world today where everyone , just accept things NOT lasting so long or failures and BUY more rather than expect better from makers!

Mind sets have seriously changed over the yrs
Old farmers held onto things for generations, decades and then some, and expected the thing they spent there money on to LAST

generations today, think everything NEEDS to be replaced as soon as the next model comes out with a new gadget gizzmo on it??

just look at phones, folks upgrade OH so often

I have older friends that sill have rotary finger dial home phones from the 70's that still work and there HAPPY with them?/ HAHA!

different mind set for sure in generations now< and the OEM"s cater to there willingness to BUY more all the time and finance away there lives!
I guess he did give a good write up on how to fix es models ?, but heck...he probably spent hours working on it, and now has a good understanding how they work ?..lol. as for things today ?, our biggest problem we have today ?..IS CRAP MADE IN CHINA !!!. i'd stop this chit in a heart beat !, we need to put Americans back to work, not support those sorry you know whats over yunder !. sheshh..I am so freaking sick of buying products today, ''made in china '' lord knows it won't run, last, whatever ?. I dread walking into any store today, and buying a product, cuz I know all to well...IT'S MADE IN CHINA !!. I said never again will I buy a craftsman tool ?, NOT UNTIL IT HAS MADE IN USA STAMPED ON IT !. as for things lasting mrbb ?, your 100% right !!!..they don't want products to last today, they want you to keep buying it, over and over and over..screw that, this is why I have a '89 trx350D foreman ?, IT WILL OUT LAST ME !, to damn bad they don't make them today, like they did 30 or 40 years ago ?..what a shame.

Reactions: Jeepwm69

·
Registered
137 Posts
May or may not be a good analogy on simple is better but I've been running a 1941 Ford 9N tractor for 27 years as my weekly grass cutter and monthly field cutter. I'm not that great of a mechanic but I've kept it running well for these 27 years due to it's simplicity and the fact it was designed to be repaired by the average farmer.

That's why I opted for manual transmission on the Honda.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
May or may not be a good analogy on simple is better but I've been running a 1941 Ford 9N tractor for 27 years as my weekly grass cutter and monthly field cutter. I'm not that great of a mechanic but I've kept it running well for these 27 years due to it's simplicity and the fact it was designed to be repaired by the average farmer.

That's why I opted for manual transmission on the Honda.
My 1949 IH, model H< ran like champ the 20 yrs or so I had, got it off original owner and he farmed for 50 yrs with it before me
ran as good when I sold it as it did when I bought it
simple, and just plain was MADE to last
it weights about 2 times or MORE than like made HP tractor's today(even 4x4 one's)
real metal and HD built to the till!
OVER BUILT
NOTHING today is over built, its all tested and tested till they know exactly WHEN it will fail, and made to ONLY last "X" long!
ensuring you will need another one!

SHade I said it many times on here, if Honda ever remade there 300-350-400-450
like they did in the early yrs of the models
they would sell like hotcakes!
I'd buy two myself!

all the gadgets on things today to me are mostly useless! and just more to go wrong!

as for things made in China, I think China is a small part of the junk made, lots o things all over the world find there way into the USA stores and is equally as much JUNK as China made stuff ! LOL

and sadly even stuff MADE in the USA< is JUNK too
every try and talk to MOST places here in USA and find NO one working there seems to know ANYTHING< like a bunch of morons being employed and they could care less about YOU, if your happy or can help you solve a problem, as if your just bothering them , making them do work

FAR too many LAZY American's out there in the work force, that expect the world to revolve around them it seem s to me?

Spoiled brats maybe??
but fully agree, the USA< needs to be more self reliant and NOT depend on other countries to make 90% of the things we use and buy!
a pure shame IMO!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I have to admit I new very little about the es model. I'm 64 and I had many atc 90,110,200, when my son was groing up. I could work on them and they ran well enough. so I stuck with Honda when looking for a 4wh to help me if I was lucky enough to harvest a deer. didn't have money to buy new. so through this forum I'm learning as I go. to cold to do much now but with the information I'm getting here I'm making a list of things to do to make my purchase more enjoyable keep the good advice coming, thankyou. rich b

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
i had 55 1st chevy truck. had to replace points every so often, cap or rotor button. on 6V system that was electrical. seems even the tires on that truck would last longer, and that was a straight axle. USA was quality over quantity at one time ago. not so much anymore. things are made to fail, or be so hard to fix, that a company gets more $$ with less of a product. Me old mother got a new GE washer, that is electronic. water levels;;; a small load is measured x-tra large. three times more washing than before, no soak time, an a computer chip in the mix that screws things up. the old washer could handle loads. now, if a blanket needs to be washed, you got to go to a laundry mat. [an maybe they dont have new an improved,,politically correct equipment].. //Ed

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
shift motor

2004 rancher es 350, needs a new battery. been on ehay but if you guys can recommend a good battery for my atv. don't want to spend a ton of money. darn electric shift is part of the problem keeps getting stuck between gears. wonder if the batt is to weak to shift back. get a new batt and a trickle charger. rich
i got a bit carried away by this thread, at the end. My 2000 450 es was having shift problems an it was a bad shift motor. some shift motors had bad grease in the gears at the front, also causing a problem. if that carried to 2004, i havent seen in this forum so far. maybe that was only on older models. //Ed

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
i had 55 1st chevy truck. had to replace points every so often, cap or rotor button. on 6V system that was electrical. seems even the tires on that truck would last longer, and that was a straight axle. USA was quality over quantity at one time ago. not so much anymore. things are made to fail, or be so hard to fix, that a company gets more $$ with less of a product. Me old mother got a new GE washer, that is electronic. water levels;;; a small load is measured x-tra large. three times more washing than before, no soak time, an a computer chip in the mix that screws things up. the old washer could handle loads. now, if a blanket needs to be washed, you got to go to a laundry mat. [an maybe they dont have new an improved,,politically correct equipment].. //Ed
Buy a speedqueen. They still make them with analog controls.

I just fixed my 30 year old+ gas dryer a few weeks ago. The coil that fires off the gas cracked and went bad. Took me about 2 hours and a $15 part.

People laugh at me, but I can fix stuff like this indefinitely, whereas the new crap you get a bad computer board and the new part costs more than a new unit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Had to get in on this conversation. My teenage son is always telling me how great the newer trucks are and I laugh and tell him you can't work out of a lifted jacked up truck. Newer trucks are about like an aluminum can in thickness and you sure can't get anything out of the bed without climbing up in the darn thing! I wish they would make a basic work truck that was simple and you didn't have to take it to a mechanic every time a light came on to plug it up to diagnose the problem!&#55357;&#56865;

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Jeepwm69; You sure got that post right. the more the engineers add electronics or anything to something that already works, the more problems ya got to deal with. some of the newer ford engines have 5 timing chain's, between twin overhead cam's an the like. it must be a nightmare to try an get all that stuff going.
most mechanics say its better to get a new engine than to deal with it and the cost$. i haven't seen much improvement on gas mileage to even justify all the extra parts. sad to say, home appliances are just as bad anymore, also, what ever happened to quality over quantity. i thought quality over quantity was an american standard at one time, must have been many, many years ago //Ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.